Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No 1 EANS Eastbourne

Thanks

Default No 1 EANS Eastbourne

Does anyone know where H.Q. and airfield of No 1 Elementary Air Navigation School were, while based in Eastbourne, Sussex during WWII, particularly 1942? Thank you.
    Last edited by namrondooh; 8th November 2008 at 03:57.

Thanks

Hi
    I can't answer yur query re Eastbourne but I would point out that according to "Flying Training and Support Units since 1912"- Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin the unit moved to Bridgenorth in Shropshire on 14/10/42,(the year you mention) which was an established RAF station with an airfield.
    If you look on http://content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/ you will find what's left of 2 airfields at Eastbourne 1 and 2, although it is a bit of an act of faith to pick them out
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 8th November 2008 at 09:38.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Hi
    IIf you look on http://content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/ you will find what's left of 2 airfields at Eastbourne 1 and 2, although it is a bit of an act of faith to pick them out
    Regards
    Dick

I'll check today but pretty sure they were WW1 fields. Could it have been theoretical using one of the hotels? Pete

Thanks

There was the Eastbourne Aviation Co. founded by Bernard Fowler, from 1912 to 1924, situated by the coast on the eastern edge of Eastbourne but later there was a grass airfield at Friston, 5 miles WSW of Eastbourne, under the control of 11 Group, Uxbridge, opened 1940 and closed 1946. Also, an Advanced Landing Ground at Deanland, 4 miles WNW of Hailsham, opened and closed in 1944. A Liberator force landed there but was unable to take off again after repair so it had to be dismantled and transported away.

Thanks

Default No.1 EANS, Eastbourne, Sussex

Thanks Dick, thanks Pete,
    The Eastbourne date I'm working with is 27 May to 27 June 1942. I have always thought that EANs were RAF flying schools so assumed it would have to be using an airfield. The airman I'm tracing first went to No5 ITW Torquay, Devon on 28 March 1942 then to No1 EANS, Eastbourne, Sussex then out to No 48 ANS, Woodbrook, East London, South Africa in October 1942 for 5 months training as a navigator. Was the EANS therefore an extention of the ITW?

Hugh, your message came in as I was typing this and sending it off. Thank you for the information.
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 8th November 2008 at 14:28. Reason: adding acknowledgement

Thanks

Had a look at various Eastbourne & Sussex "war" publications. Only flying fields in WW2 are Friston/East Dean and Deanland. WW1 fields at Willingdon and Polegate out of use by then. So looks like it was classroom work. Pete

Thanks

Thank you Pete.

Thanks

Default No. 1 E.A.N.S.

G'day Chaps

No. 1 E.A.N.S.
    Sandhurst Hotel
    Eastbourne, Sussex

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Thank you Chris. Now I must find out if its still standing. I have a photo of RAF u/t aircrew outside a unknown arch entrance - just marked 1 EANS

Norman

Thanks

I have an interest in one of the instructors there during the time period you mention (he left for Canada in July 42) and would very much appreciate a 'heads up' if F/L James 'Jimmy' Flaherty is on your photo.

Kind regards

Jonny