Thread: No.7 Sqn air engagements 1941

Thanks

Default No.7 Sqn air engagements 1941

Hi,

I found Tom Docherty’s book “No.7 Bomber Squadron RAF in World War ll" very interesting. I hope I can get some complementing information on this Forum regarding two episodes.

18 December 1941
    No.7 Sqn sent 9 Stirling on a daylight attack to Brest. There are three claims mentioned without name on the gunners.
    “P/O Matkin bombed successfully from N6121… His gunners claimed a Bf109 destroyed and one damaged.”
    “N3668:MG-B flown by P/O G.C. Bayley. Bayley’s rear gunner shot down an Me109 during the fight”
    Both aircraft were damaged during the engagements.

These claims seems to in accordance with two claims on this raid mentioned in “New Zealanders with the Royal Air Force (Vol. I)” by H.L. Thompson:
    “Two New Zealand gunners who had successful engagements were Flight Sergeant Smith and Sergeant De Joux. Smith's machine was attacked by several Messerschmitts in turn as it approached the target. He scored hits on one of them as it came in and the pilot was seen to bale out. De Joux's Stirling was attacked twice while over the target. In the first encounter the automatic mechanism of his guns was put out of action, but by the skilful use of his turret hand-rotation gear and also by operating the releases of his guns by hand, he managed to bring fire to bear on the enemy machine during the second attack and set it or fire.”

Can anyone confirm which pilots de Joux and Smith flew with? Any other information about these engagements is also welcome.

3 October 1941
    A Junkers 88 attacked and shot down a Stirling near Bourn. “Sgt S.G. Matkin tried to intervene by positioning his Stirling so gunners could fire on the Ju 88. They claimed to have damaged it, but the intruder broke off and then bombed Oakington before disappearing in the night.”

Can anyone confirm the name of the airgunners (de Joux?) and/or give more information about the engagement.

Thanks in advance
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

I have the Air 50 Combat Reports on micro filmand I am sure I have No.7 Sqdn's. Give me a few days and I will try and sort out copies ( if there ) for you.

Cheers

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Looking forward to your reply. I have checked the Combat Reports available online at the National Archive but found did not find anything on these dates. As a matter of fact I could not find any Reports for No.7 Sqn relating to the autumn or winter of 1941.

I have seen in another post that some reports can be missing online and I hope you can find something when you check the micro film.

Cheers
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delay, I have checked and could not find a Combat Report I'm afraid, I am at the NA a few times over the X-Mas break so will have a look then. However hoping the following is of some help and use.

No.7 Squadron dispatched 10 aircraft on this daylight operation.

Sergeant DeJoux E.E * ( Front Gunner) was flying with Pilot Officer S.Matkin in Stirling N6121, the crew claimed, 1 Bf109 destroyed, 1 x Bf109 damaged.

Sergeant Smith J.M ( Reargunner) was flying with Pilot Officer G.C Bailey in Stirling N3668 'B' 1 x BF109 claimed as destroyed, enemy pilot seen to bail-out.

* awarded an immediate DFM for this action.

October 10th, the then Sergeant S Matkin's reargunner was Sergent DeJoux.

Cheers

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

The time is no problem when I get help like this. Your information included a surprise. This is the first I have seen anything about de Joux flying as front gunner.

If you find anything more it would be a real bonus but you have already been very helpful.

Cheers
    Peter