Thread: Non-squadron ORBs

Thanks

Default Non-squadron ORBs

Hi guys

if someone trained/served in the following units would there be much information in their ORBs of use when researching a single individual? Would they contain details, like an operational squadron's ORB, about flights, etc, or would they be less detailed? And/or would it be better to consult the Station ORBs of where these units were based?

No 1 Beam Approach School
    15 (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit
    62 Operational Training Unit
    12(Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit
    1524 Beam Assist Training Flight
    54 Operational Training Unit

And does the movement of the airman between these units (each stay being of only a few weeks) seem unusual?

cheers
    A

Thanks

Hi Amrit

I can only comment on the 10 and 19 OTU record books which did not record details of routine training flights. Operational training missions such as coastal command duties by an operational attachment of 10 OTU did give crew compositions.

I think the only way to be sure is to take a look!

Cheers
    Elliott
    Elliott Smock
    ++ 44 (0)7890 892147

Thanks

Hi Amrit,

it depends on the person who wrote the ORB - there are quite big differences.
    But generally I can tell they are not so helpful for tracing an individual pilot. In most ORBs I have checked there are not mentioned particular names of trainees, only instructors and other personnel of the unit itself. Sometimes some general info about the training flights.
    The names are mentioned only in cases of killed trainees but also I have found several cases with plain statistics - 2 pilots killed in March 1944 and that its all.

Yes your list seems a little bit unusual .

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I concur with Elliot and Pavel. The couple of months of the ORB in late 1941 I have for 60 OTU talk generally about the day, e.g. no flying in morning, squadron formation flying in afternoon, visit by such-and-such. Trainee deaths not always listed by name.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hi Amrit

You list two OTUs. If this is for the same man, then I would guess he was staff, as opposed to pupil, in the second. In such case, you may be fortunate enough to find details of his arrival and possibly his departure. In my experience of OTU ORBs, courses, course dates and the number of pupils are usually recorded, but participants names only appear where there's been an incident, e.g. a flying accident. However, staff arrivals and departures are usually listed by name and duty/role. Some OTU ORBs also list a monthly or periodical nominal role but, as Pavel and Adrian suggest, it's really pot luck; some ORBs - indeed some periods within ORBs - are detailed, most (?) are not. As Elliott says, the only way is to look. There's no easy way, unfortunately. If you have a look at the six months of the 57 OTU ORB transcribed on this site (go back to the basis page, www.rafcommands.com), you'll get an impression of the type of detail available.

Hope this helps
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Thank you, gentlemen, for your most informative replies. I have to admit that I have never looked at any non-squadron ORBs so was not able to fully advise the individual who is undertaking the research.

I have passed the to this thread to them and if they have any further questions I shall pass them.

As you say, and as I suspected, the individual sounds more like staff than a trainee but I don't have much info on them so cannot confirm.

cheers guys
    A

RockHound Guest

The ORB for 54OTU is quite detailed (I have pages from late March 1941 to late October 1942) containing course start & end dates, accidents & fatalities, names, initials and, usually, service nos. Glad to help if I can.

Regards,

David