Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KG933 Liberator 178 Sqdn 16/08/44

Thanks

Default KG933 Liberator 178 Sqdn 16/08/44

400754 Fl/Lt A.H. Hammett has a A705 casualty file not yet opened for KG933 incident at Ostrow, Crakow, Poland; Date - 16 August 1944. The aircraft was lost on 17th August on a Warsaw Op or are these events one and the same.
    I want to know what caused Hammett to be injured, Oh yes he has a A9300 file digitised which consists of 1 page and further enquiries to the NA.
    Chris

Thanks

Chris,

Same event. 401092 S/L J.P. LIVERSIDGE also on KG933, killed. His service file has notations that he went missing on the 16th and presumed killed on the 17th. The header of his casualty file, which is not not yet scanned, shows place of death Warsaw 17 August 1944.

I believe that the "Ostrow" mentioned in Hammett's file header would be the crash-site.

Thanks

Default KG933 Liberator 178 Sqdn

Hi Chris,

Yes, they are one and the same event.

Here is what the RAAF Official History has to say about AUS400754 HAMMET,Allan Hunter RAAF (Note spelling).

Quote;

"Squadron Leader Liversidge, a flight commander of No.178, was also killed on the 16-17 August,1944, when the Liberator he was navigating was shot down by an enemy fighter near Cracow while returning from the crew's second delivery flight. from this aircraft F/Lt. Hammet*, although wounded by bullets in the arms,legs and left side, safely parachuted and hid with a partisan group until the area was occupied by Russian forces." End quote.

*fn. F-Lt A.H.Hammet, DFM, 400754; 178 Sdn RAF. Chemist apprentice; of Red Cliffs, Vic; b. Melbourne, 24 Jul 1921.

See: Air Power Over Europe 1944-1945.
    Herington,John.
    Canberra:AWM,1963.
    p.331.

In an earlier thread (From Franek Grabowski), titled "178 Squadron", (It is in the Archive, somewhere, can't access it for the moment), Franek gives a brief accont of the fate of KG933, and some of its crew.

Re the crew. I have the following (In no particular order), :-

AUS401092 S/L. J.P.LIVERSIDGE RAAF +
    117930 F/O. W.D.WRIGHT +
    1581776 Sgt. L.J.BLUNT PoW*
    AUS400754 F/O. A.H.HAMMET RAAF PoW
    1675318 Sgt. P.W.HELME*
    527242 F/Sgt. J.D.CLARKE +

NB. No Pow details for HAMMET.

* BLUNT - Camp L7/Pow No.652
    HELME - Camp L7/PoW No.666.

As on Ross', Air Force PoWs listing, this site.

Franek (Grabowski), contends that this was not a Warsaw 'Op', but a drop to "NIDA 504" (Wherever/whatever that is !).

Incidentally Chris. HAMMET has two (2) A9300s at the NAA (See: NAA:A9300 HAMMET A H -observe spacing). Not much joy on this one either I'm afraid. Listed as "Closed" or "Not yet examined" - "No public access" - Hit "Request Copy", for info.

Regards,
    Col Bruggy.

Thanks

Default KG933 Liberator 178 Sqdn

Hello all,

Please excuse contradiction re, HAMMET. He was not a PoW as stated in the crew listing, he evaded capture as mentioned. PoW, should follow HELME.

Mea Culpa,
    Col.

Thanks

Many thanks Ken and Col for your input on this thread
    Chris

Thanks

Nida was a dropzone near Piotrków, some 120 km north of Cracow. The aircraft was catched by reflectors, and subsequently shot down, crashing at Zabłocie, Cracow, this seen by crew of Maj. Greindl.
    Actually, it is believed, the aircraft was downed by Ofw. Dahms of 1./NJG100. Allan Hammet send a short message through Polish channels: I am safe.
    Chris, have you found the airman or just browsed through his files?

Thanks

Franek - I have all the information from Colin by pm on Alan Hammet . I did refer to your post of 2002 on this board - many thanks.
    Chris

Thanks

Default My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF

Pilot, Killed Verona 1944 bombing the marshalling yards. 21 yoa. He seems a little lost from the records and I should like to set it right. Had he lived, he would have been ninety this year.

http://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/roll_of_honour/person.asp?p=556747

Thanks

Here is detailed history of this KG933 Liberator, but in polish (google translator helps You I hope). Including history of A.H. Hammet. This history is good known in Cracow, and thoroughly investigated by Krzysztof Wielgus, historian from the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow. Every year a tour around the Zabłocie in Cracow is dedicated to the memory of this bomber and other Allied crews. If You need more info, contact with mr. Krzysztof Wielgus.

http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/histor...ocia/index.php

Thanks

Although this thread is slightly dated, it may be worth noting that there is a metal plaque on a building in Cracow that commemorates this aircraft and the three casualties. It is virtually next door to the building (and now museum) that was Oskar Schindler's old Enamel Factory. I have a photo if anyone wants a copy.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.