Thread: Canadians in RAF

J. Murray Henley Guest

Default Canadians in RAF

I am researching information on my father who enlisted in the RAF in Canada, probably in Toronto. I recall hearing him talk of training for flying in the Niagara peninsula. I have his discharge papers on which there is the number 142333, dated 14 February 1919. Can anyone help me with information? Thank you. Murray Henley jmurrayhenley@hotmail.com

Thanks

Default Canadians in the Royal Air Force

G'day Murray

Here are some possible sites that he may have done some pilot training located in what is geographically called the Niagara Peninsula

Cheers...Chris

No. 6 Service Flying Training School - Dunnville, Ontario
    The School was in operation from the 25th of November 1940 to the 1st of December 1944.
    It flew the North American Yale and later the North American Harvard

No. 9 Elementary Flying Training School -St. Catharines, Ontario
    The school was in operation from the 14th of October 1940 to the 14th of January 1944. It startred flying operations with the Fleet Finch and later converted to the de Havilland Tiger Moth.

No. 10 Elementary Flying Training School - Mount Hope, Ontario
    The school located close to Hamilton operated the de Havilland Moth and Fleet Finches from the 14th of October 1940 until it was re-located to Pendleton, Ontario effective the 31st of August 1942

No. 16 Service Flying Training School - Hagersville, Ontario.
    The school was in operation from the 8th of August 1941 to the 30th of March 1945 flying the twin-engine Avro Anson.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

discharge papers on which there is the number 142333, dated 14 February 1919.

Date must be a typo.

Thanks

There was an RAF in Canada in 1918 and 1919, operating several flying training schools in southern Ontario and enlisting Canadians. I think they had a base at Beamsville, which could be said to be in the Niagara region. Can we ask the date of your father's birth?

Thanks

The service number quoted lies within the block 140001-143000 assigned to civilian entrants RFC/RAF February-April 1918. Am I correct in my belief that these were assigned only to tradesmen and that officers were not assigned a number at that time?
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 11th November 2008 at 13:24.

Thanks

Default I Screwed Up!

Oops!!!

I should have looked more closely at the date. )-:

Cheers...Chris