Thread: remberance day

Thanks

Default remberance day

Just want to say we should all get out today to remember those who gave their lives for all to enjoy our freedom.
    From our small community here in Sheet Harbour Nova Scotia Canada there were five who served with bomber command and only one returned from a population of 800 people.
    Thanks to all who served and sacrificed so much.
    regards to all
    john kelly

Thanks

Hi John,

I'm sure that most who frequent this forum will have been remembering in one way or another, and in fact due to our interests it's not only today that we remember.

As for myself, I attended a service at my local war memorial with my children on Sunday but today I took myself further afield and at 11am was one of two people standing in silence at a memorial to a Wellington Bomber crew who died during training in January 1942.

It might be of interest to you to know that one of the men onboard was from your part of the world and was a Sgt J Kelley. Different spelling though http://www.archieraf.co.uk/scs/1646kelley.html

Always remembering
    Linzee

Thanks

Hi John,

For the first time in over 8 years I did not get to Runnymede due to a return of a touch of pneumonia. Instead went to a local service, I was pleased to see that the service was well attended by young and old. Sadly did not see any ex RAF but plenty of the Army lads who looked resplendent in all their regimental regalia. The service like I said was very well attended and just goes to show that even today the sacrifice’s of these forgotten hero’s can still touch our lives.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi John
    On a simpler note it is noticeable in UK that if the 11/11 falls on a normal workday then the larger Stores through their Public Address systems are regularly calling for the 2 Min Silence to be observed at 11 AM. and ,as I saw today, it is honoured.It was honoured on Sunday in the afternoon prior to the start of Televised Soccer matches and at least 2 of the clubs that were playing incorporated the British Legion Poppy into their kit for the match, and their teams incorporate many nationalities.
    Regards
    Dick

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Dear All:
    Just returned from our day of remembrance at the local cenotaph and I was amazed at the turnout: hundreds of people, young and old, from our relatively small community on Vancouver Island, Canada. Very moving and all the more poignant for my having spent the last five years researching a group of Commonwealth WWII airmen.
    Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Default Here in NZ

it was also celebrated with services at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Wellington, and at the Auckland War Memorial. Weather was bad in Welington and the fly past of 3 replica, I think WW1 planes (possibly made by a company associated with Peter Jackson of LTR fame) they were biplanes, could not do a fly over but they were photographed further up the coast and looked magnificient. The RAF Band played and one of the Honour Guard at the Tomb was RAF - changed every 20 minutes. We do celebrate our war dead on ANZAC day here on 25th April which is a Public Holiday (if it falls in the week), however in recent years the 11/11/11 has been celebrated more - it used to be, then the "celebrations" if you can call it that were more focused on the 25/4. My other half remembers as a boy, and he is part of the grey brigade, having to stand at school for 2 minutes silence.

One funny thing happened at the celebration in Dunedin a replica cannon was fired in the Octagon (sort of Town Square) and the smoke and boom set off all the fire alarms and smoke detectors in the CBD. the Fire brigade was going round like a shuttle service!!!!

Dyan