Thread: Bois Cocquerel, V1 Site?

Thanks

Default Bois Cocquerel, V1 Site?

I have found reference on the internet to a F/O Clinch being hit by Flak and crashed while attacking a target at 'Bois Cocquerel' on 29.5.44. FCL3 confirms this.
    According to the ORB he was flying Spitfire IX MH601 on a Ramrod mission to a NOBALL target.
    He survived and became a POW.
    I have tried google but I am unable to establish exactly were Bois Cocquerel was.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Andy

Thanks

Google maps - Chemin du Bois Coquerel

A

Thanks

COQUEREAUX V1 site ?

Coquereaux
    76390 Aubéguimont,
    France

Thanks

Can't help with 'Bois Coquerel', Andy. Your man Clinch was actually - AUS403556 Arthur Halford CLINCH RAAF.

This was not Clinch's first bale-out. On 1/5/1943, whilst serving in the Med. with 94 Sdn (Attached to 33 Sqn), he found the need to abandon, due to mechanical trouble, Hurricane (Serial ?). On that occasion he was safely picked up by a destroyer. (See: Fighters over Tunisia/Shores,Ring & Hess. p.362 - Albeit referring to Clinch as "Chick").

Clinch's PoW details were: Camp L3/PoW No.5980. As per Ross' PoW listing this site.

Regards,
    Col.

Thanks

hello,

I have his PoW questionnaire at home, will check tonight. He wrote he was captured at / near Abbeville on 29th May 1944. I'll also give you a more precise location of this flying bomb site, which is in the Somme département (I limit myself to Nord-Pas-de-Calais).

The problem with these sites is that sometimes these names are villages, and sometimes only hamlets, or woods. And we may have several places in France with similar names, I had some difficulties in locating the "Bois de la Justice", as it's quite a common name.

Joss

Thanks

There is a chateau du coquerelle in the right area, surrounded by a wood, North of the D173 and SW of Bailleul.

Thanks

hello,

There's no further details in the PoW questionnaire.

Bois de Coquerel is in the village of Limeux, in the Somme Département, 10 km South of Abbeville. Known as Noball XI/A/60 and also as target Z3123. If you enter these references in a search engine, it might give better details.

Joss