Default Crash location - 418 Sqdn RCAF - Mosquito MM421 - May 44

Hello,

Where were Connell and Carr taken POW ?

C/1456 - F/O - Pilot - Connell J M - RCAF - Camp L3 - POW No. 5103
    J/23957 - F/L - Navigator - Carr D W J - RCAF - Camp L3 - POW No. 5102

Any idea were MM421 did crash ?
    418 Sqdn RCAF - Mosquito Type FBVI - MM421 -
    Missing from night intruder to Greifswald, Germany - 10.5.44 -
    Last edited by PATS; 15th November 2008 at 17:03.
    PATS - Vollenhove - The Netherlands

Thanks

Pats,

There's somehow another story about MM421 "Li'l Abner" in the Osprey volume "Mosquito Fighter/Fighter Bomber Units of World War 2" that I found thru books.google.com.

It says here that MM421 was hit by return fire on 16.5.44 somewhere over the Kiel Bay area (which is perfectly possible if the intruder mission was to Greifswald, East of Rostock). The Mosquito managed to crash land in Sweden, with pilot Wg Cdr Howard Cleveland injured and navigator F/Sgt Frank Day killed. Latter person is buried at Malmö, Sweden, with indeed date of death 16.5.1944 according CWGC.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Default S/L Howie Cleveland

G'day PATS

The following was extracted verbatim from the No. 418 Squadron history book.

Cheers...Chris

"A third loss occurred two days later on May 16th, again to deadly accurate German anti-aircraft fire. The crews involved in the incident were S/L Scherf on a 48-hour leave, naturally his navigator F/O Finlayson and S/L Howie Cleveland with his nav F/S F. Day.

The pair had a successful shoot along the German Baltic coast (nine E/A damaged or destroyed), but Cleveland's aircraft was hit by flak which wounded both he and Day, shut down one engine and blew away the instruments. Knowing he would never make it to England, some 600 miles away, Charlie Scherf gave him a heading for Sweden and wished him luck. However luck was not with him.

As Cleveland crossed into neutral Sweden their ack ack opened up , not recognizing them as an aircraft in dsitress. Cleveland elected to ditch the crippled Mossie just off the coast. The aircraft broke up on impact and sank immediately. Cleveland was lucky to survive. Day did not."

Thanks

Default More Mossie Gen

G'day...again

I'm not sure if you have this gen.

Mossie s/n MM421 nicknamed L'L Abner was coded TH*P

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default Howie Cleveland's Mossie

PATS

Please read my posting in the thread "418 Squadron - Henk Welting" concerning the serial number of Howie Cleveland's Mossie.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Carr and Connell were I believe in NS986 when taken PoW - 8 May, not 10 May.

Chris, are you able to check the date of their capture in the ORB?

Thanks

Any idea were NS986 did crash ?
    PATS - Vollenhove - The Netherlands

Thanks

Sorry, no I don't, however if their PoW files are around, you might be able to track it down.

Thanks

Default CrAsh Location - 418 Squadron - Cleveland

Public Record Office WO 208/3320 had his MI.9 report; he had left Stockholm on 16 June 1944, arrived in Britain 17 June 1944 and was interviewed on 18 June 1944.

"I was captain and first pilot of a Mosquito aircraft which took off from Coltishall on 16 May 1944 at about 1300 hours on a Day Ranger operation across Denmark, and covering German aerodromes on the Baltic. When approximately over Rostock we were hit by flak at about 1530 hours. One engine was rendered completely unserviceable, and the fuselage was badly damaged.

"It was obvious that we would not be able to reach base, so I took the only alternative of attempting to get to Sweden.

"When over Ystad we were fired on by flak, although it was obvious that we were in distress. This compelled me to fly out to sea again. I ditched outside the three-mile limit, exactly south of Ystad at about 1700 hours. The aircraft broke up badly, but we both got out safely. The water was so cold that I just managed to inflate my dinghy and got into it before becoming unconscious. When last seen my navigator was trying to get his dinghy inflated. When I came to about half an hour later there was no sign of him.

"I was picked up by a Swedish fishing boat, which also found my navigator's body. I was taken ashore and to a hospital in Ystad. I was there till 22 May. On the second day a member of the British Legation at Malmo came to see me. On 22 May I was taken to the internment camp at Falun. After a trip to Stockholm to report the details of our accident to the authorities. I returned to Falun whilst negotiations were being carried out with the Swedes for my repatriation.

"At no time was any interrogation pressed on me, and I was treated with great consideration. On 11 June I was taken down to Stockholm and repatriated on 16 June."

Cleveland's logbook (held by Canadian War Museum) indicates that he and Day flew one intruder sortie while still at No.60 OTU (Mosquito 760, 30 December 1943, to Limavady, three hours). He subsequently recorded the following sorties, giving only his aircraft letter:

6 January 1944 - "H" - Rennes-Gael-Loire - sighted one aircraft
    7 January 1944 - "Y" - St. Dizier, uneventful
    21 January 1944 - "P" - Leeuwareden
    28 January 1944 - "X" - St. Trond
    29 January 1944 - "T" - Beauvais-Creil
    6 February 1944 - "C" - Melun-Bretigny
    20 February 1944 - "P" - St. Dizier
    22 February 1944 - "P" - Orleans-Chateaudun
    24 February 1944 - "P" - St. Dizier
    25 February 1944 - "P" - Stuttgart
    1 March 1944 - "P" - Chateaudun
    17 March 1944 - "P" - Laon-Juvincourt
    18 March 1944 - "P" - Stuttgart
    19 March 1944 - "P" - Munich
    23 March 1944 - "P" - Tours-Melun-Bretigny-St. Dizier-St.Trond-Florennes
    24 March 1944 - "P" - Berlin (with Stewart rather than Day)
    31 March 1944 - "P" - Binplack-Laineck-Windischenlabach, Czechosloakia
    5 April 1944 - "P" - Dijon-Dole
    10 April 1944 - "P" - Grove
    12 April 1944 - "P" - Werneuemen-Strausberg-Furstenwalde-Ragsdorf-Juterbog-Berlin
    16 April 1944 - "P" - Croix de Metz and Thionville
    24 April 1944 - "P": - Echterdingen-Boblingen
    25 April 1944 - "P" - Orleans-Tours-Chateaudin
    26 April 1944 - "P" - Nantes
    27 April 1944 - "P" - Nancy-Metz
    15 May 1944 - "P" - night intrusion, area not stated
    16 May 1944 - "P" or "D" - Baltic
    29th mission not dated in logbook
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 16th November 2008 at 00:46. Reason: added info

Thanks

Hi Hugh:

Your classic post with the list of 418 Squadron aircraft has MM421 as P, just to complicate things further.

I tried to post on this earlier - I re-read what I'd typed in and it was unintelligible gobbledy-gook, a fairly accurate representation of what's in my head...