Thread: Ivan Southall, AM, DFC

Thanks

Default Ivan Southall, AM, DFC

Ivan Southall, AM, DFC: Sunderland Flying Boat Captain and author of more than 50 books, passed away near Melbourne on 15th November, aged 87. He gained his captaincy while still an NCO and was a Flying Officer when RAAF 461 Squadron disbanded in 1945. His 1956 book "They Shall Not Pass Unseen" (being 461's motto) remains one of the most vivid first hand accounts of the air campaign against the U-Boats, including his attack on U-385 that ensured its subsequent sinking. Others of his related books include "The Third Pilot" (1970), but he is most widely known for his adventure books for children, for which he won international acclaim and awards.
    Allan Stark,
    Melbourne

Thanks

I'd literally just found out about Ivan Southall's death from my publisher at Penguin this afternoon when I read this post--I never knew he had written about the RAAF. I was very interested to hear about this "other career". Off-topic on this site, perhaps, but Ivan Southall is a very influential writer in the history of Australian children's literature. In fact, it is because of the work of people like him that we now HAVE a local children's publishing scene here. Writers of my generation, born in the 60s and starting to publish in the 80s, should be very grateful to him.

Natalie Jane Prior