Thread: Gerald Thomas 1600355 Navigator.poss. 5 Group

Thanks

Default Gerald Thomas 1600355 Navigator.poss. 5 Group

This might be like looking for a needle in a haystack,but would be greatful of any help.
    All i know is that Gerald Thomas-service number 1600355, was a navigator in 5 Group.He was injured(possibly on the 1944 Nuremberg raid-have looked in Chorley's but can't find him)
    A crew mate pushed him partly out of the astro-dome as he was bleeding heavily,which stopped the blood but he was admitted to RAF Hospital at Ely with frostbite and lost his fingers.(This is what his brother remembers being told,so can't vouch for the accuracy)
    His brother has sent me a photo but cannot remember his squadron.Gerald Thomas survived the war and died a while back.
    Any info welcome or is it possible to trace him via his service number?(assuming his brother's memory is correct)

Thanks

Linda, Hi
    If his Service Number is correct then he probably Enlisted at Oxford after Sep 1941 but before Nov 1942. I can't get that number to come up on the LG so it is likely that he was NCO Aircrew - i.e. not Commissioned - for his RAFVR career. Whether the RAF Ely Hospital records have (a) been kept, (b) where they are, and (c) how you access them, I'm afraid I do not know!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default Gerald Thomas Navigator

Hi Peter-Thanks-Well it's a start!His elderly brother is adamant that his brother's last mission was Nuremberg 30/31st March 1944.He said Gerald's plane crash-landed somewhere in East Anglia(hence the trip to RAF hospital at Ely) and that it was shot up by a night-fighter after bombing Nuremberg.Apparently he was the sole survivor of that particular crew,the rest apparently killed or died in hospital.
    Despite going through Chorley's for the Nuremberg raid,there is no mention of a crash on a returning plane or a G.Thomas ,navigator which could tell me his Squadron!

Thanks

There appears to be a crew from 578 Squadron buried in various locations across the UK. It is largest and almost the only crew amongst the 571 airmen lost that night who were buried in the UK.

HTH

Howard