Thread: 21 Sqdn.

Thanks

Default 21 Sqdn.

Good evening,

Can anyone please offer any details on the following individual from No. 21 Sqdn.

Flight Sgt. Douglas J. Kirkland, Royal New Zealand Airforce.

Lost on Oct. 15, 1942 and buried in Watton.

This is the only information I have available. As always assistance much appreciated.

Regards

Eric

Thanks

Hi Eric,

just one shot, I suppose Errol may be able to provide you more:

Douglas Kirkland died on Thursday 15 October 1942 age 22. He was aboard a Ventura of which F/S RD Williams was the pilot and the other crew member was Sgt J Kenny. Ventura I AE670 YH- crashed at 1050 at Hillborough, 5 miles S of Swaffham, Norfolk, while making a single engine approach to Bodney on a training flight. All were killed.

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/airsearch/names_am.htm#KIRKLAND,%20Flight%20Sergeant%20D ouglas%20James

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thank you Pavel

Cheers

Eric

Thanks

Eric,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942)':

Thu 15 Oct 1942
    Bomber Command
    Training
    21 Squadron, RAF (Bodney, Norfolk - 2 Group)
    Ventura I AE760 - piloted by Flt Sgt Williams, RAF, spun to port, crashed and caught fire about a mile west of the airfield at 1045 after an engine was feathered in order to carry out a single-engined approach. The three crew died, the navigator being buried at Watton. Records conflict as to whether the approach was being made to Bodney or nearby Watton.
    Navigator: NZ411219 Flt Sgt Douglas James KIRKLAND, RNZAF - Age 22. 354hrs. 3 ops.

And Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

KIRKLAND, Flight Sergeant Douglas James.
    NZ411219; b Hawera 11 Jun 20; Kowhai JHS, Auckland; radio mechanic - Radio (1936) Ltd, Auckland. RNZAF Levin/ITW as Air Observer u/t 16 Feb 41, emb for Canada 29 Apr 41, att RCAF 14 May 41, 6AOS 17 May 41, 5BGS 3 Aug 41, Air Observers Badge & Sgt & 1ANS 15 Sep 41, 31OTU RAF (Hudson) 27 Oct 41, 1 Y Depôt 10 Dec 41, att RAF & emb for UK 13 Dec 41, 3PRC 26 Dec 41, 1AOS [redesignated 1(O)AFU 1.2.42] (Anson) 16 Jan 42, 17OTU (Blenheim) 10 Mar 42, 21 Sqn (Blenheim, Ventura; 3 ops inc 1 ASR) 27 May 42, remust as Air Navigator (B) 23 Jul 42, kaa 15 Oct 42. Watton (St Mary) Churchyard - B.63, Norf., England. Son of Douglas Henry & Alice Isabel Kirkland (née Aitken), Mt Eden, Auckland. [phot. TWN 16.12.42].

Out of curiosity, what is your interest in Kirkland?

Errol

Thanks

Hello Errol and thank you for taking the time to post the information.

A few months back I answered a gentleman's enquiry regarding his request for info. on 149 sqd. We exchanged some details for a few weeks and he was in contact again yesterday seeking assistance with this 21 sqd. issue.

Andrew lives near Watton I believe and he and his wife help to tend several of the graves where Kirkland has been laid to rest. Andrew initiated some research into the possibility that Kirkland may have some remaining relatives in NZ. As it turns out Kirkland's mother is still alive and Andrew is going to provide her with any available information on her lost son.

Although it is all very interesting I am essentially a middle man. If you would like to speak to Andrew further on the subject I would be happy to organize that or perhaps he will post here on the forum. My email for your reference is euecn@hotmail.com.

Thanks again Errol

Regards

Eric

Thanks

Sorry Errol

I was wondering what the age of Kirkland's mother must be. Further clarification indicates the research is being conducted on behalf of Kirkland's remaining sister who has been contacted in NZ.

Regards

Eric