Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington HZ485

Gary Guest

Default Wellington HZ485

This is my first post to the forum and it comes about as a result of searching via Yahoo on Wellington X HZ485 coded NA-G and finding a hit on the serial on your forum.

I notice that in Nov 2007 Hans was looking for the identity of a crash in Holland on the evening of 28/29th May 1943 and several people thought it might be the above mentioned Wellington from RCAuxAF 428 Sqn at Dalton.

I would be very keen to know if this has ever been confirmed as my Great Uncle Kenneth Chilvers was lost in that aircraft that night and I am currently doing our family tree. None of the family have ever known exactly what happened or where his body is burried. I know that it left RAF Dalton in Nth Yorkshire at 2312 on a mission to Essen and that it was lost without trace so any additional info would be most welcome.

TIA for any help you can give, regards Gary.

Thanks

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum and I hope that you will get some useful answers to your questions.

First I'll just post a link to the archived thread that you mentioned as it will be helpful for others trying to add to the information already provided http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=11464&forum=DCForumI D6&archive=yes

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has an entry for your great uncle here
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1084375 here you will find his age, service number, family details etc which might assist you further in your search.

It says that he is commemorated on panel 145 at the Runnymede Memorial. That would generally indicate that his remains were not recovered and therefore he does not have a known grave. This is the case for all the crew on Wellington HZ485.

Hopefully someone else will come up with some additional information.

Regards
    Linzee

Gary Guest

Default Wellington HZ485

Linzee

Thank you very much for your help, I'm very impressed, that is a great start

Regards

Gary

Thanks

Gary,
    I couldn't open the old RAF Commands thread mentioned by Linzee.
    The Dutch register aircraft crashes WW2 has as a location Laageind, 3 km S of Rijkevoort, time 01.30 hrs.
    I've on file that the Wellington was shot down by a night fighter from I./NJG1 and exploded 10 minutes after the crash. Another rumour is that the location may have been at Rijkevoort W of Boxmeer; an eyewitness - Mr A. Albers, at that time living 1 km of the crash location - talked about human remains near a couple of machine guns in a corn field and two completely mutilated bodies of airmen on another place.
    In Woensel General Cemetery are two unknown airmen buried with date of death 28-5-1943 (Grave locations JJB.67 and JJB.68).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk, sorry you couldn't open the link to the archived thread I posted. An alternative would be to type Wellington HZ485 into a search engine like google. There are actually two archived threads regarding this loss and one discusses possible grave sites which you may be able to expand on.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Checked again the possible crash location: Laageind is just NW of Rijkevoort (W of Boxmeer) and about 3 km S of Haps.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Linzee,
    "HZ485" and "Wellington HZ485" no match in Google.
    Henk.

Thanks

I'm really puzzled at that Henk, I wondered if perhaps you needed to use google.co.uk rather than google.nl but that makes no difference. This is the hit list from google.co.uk which I hope you will be able to open.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Wellington+HZ485&btnG=Google+Search &meta=

Yours hopefully
    Linzee

Gary Guest

Default Wellington HZ485

Henk/Linzee

Thank you very much for that, for your info I did find some notes on a Lost Bombers web site stating

Quote deleted in line with board policy due to infringement of W Chorley copyright
    Ross

As MS481 crashed off Grimsby it negates it from the enquiry. It does though show the take off on the 27th not the 28th as reported elsewhere.

Strangely another web site shows a Canadian Pilot as having his last flight in Wellington HZ485 in Sept 1943, clearley either the serial number or date are wrong.

Regards

Gary
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 19th November 2008 at 07:27. Reason: Board Policy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linzee View Post
    I'm really puzzled at that Henk, I wondered if perhaps you needed to use google.co.uk rather than google.nl but that makes no difference. This is the hit list from google.co.uk which I hope you will be able to open.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Wellington+HZ485&btnG=Google+Search &meta=

Yours hopefully
    Linzee
    Yes Linzee, could open threads via Google (ENG). Thanks for hint.
    Regards'
    Henk.