Thread: Bulldog 04/01/33

Thanks

Default Bulldog 04/01/33

Does anyone have a note of the serial No of the machine that crashed at Miss Marriage's Farm, Norton Heath, Ongar please.

The pilot, who was killed, was JL Armstrong of 111S.

TIA

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 20th November 2008 at 13:43. Reason: Squadron No added.

Thanks

Dave,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942)':

Wed 4 Jan 1933
    England
    Test flight Service trials
    111 Squadron, RAF (Hornchurch, Essex - Fighting Area, Air Defence of Great Britain)
    Bristol Bulldog IIIA ‘R5’ - three of the Squadron’s pilots arrived at the RAF Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, Martlesham Heath, Suffolk, to collect prototype Bristol, Gloster, and Vickers fighters for trials at Hornchurch. Flying back to base they dived and pulled up into a Prince of Wales feather manœuvre, during which the Bulldog disintegrated and crashed at Norton Heath, near Chipping Ongar, killing the pilot. R5 was a manufacturer’s designation, no RAF serial having been allocated.
    Pilot: Fg Off John Laurance ARMSTRONG, RAF - Age 26.

And Amendments section of Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

p58; ARMSTRONG, J L – the crash occurred on Miss Marriage’s farm. Buried at Hornchurch, but in 1934 exhumed and removed to New Zealand for burial at Mangatera, Dannevirke.

Errol

Thanks

Photo of R5 here:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1950/1950%20-%200333.html?search=Bristol%20Bulldog%20IIIA

Thanks

Errol,

many thanks for the serial which has allowed to look a bit further. There is a brief reference in Putnam's 'Bristol Aircraft' which dates the incident 30/3/1933, but I am sure that must be the date of the write off. The Times archive confirms 4 January.

Paul

thanks for the link. The site is down at the moment so will look later.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

David,

'R5' and Armstrong's accident are detailed in David Luff's 'Bulldog: Bristol Bulldog Fighter', pub by Airlife 1987.

Errol

Thanks

Out of interest what were the Vickers and Gloster types being evaluated

I assume the Gloster was the SS19 (which turned into the Gauntlet) - I can only assume the Vickers type was the Vickers Jockey - However J9122 crashed sometime in July 1932 - So did they build another one? or was it fixed?

Paul

Thanks

Thanks again Errol, I have just retrieved the book from the loft.

DaveW