Thread: Flight paths over the Atlantic during WW2

David C Guest

Default Flight paths over the Atlantic during WW2

Hi, am new to the site. Anyone any tips on finding details of flight paths out of Northern Ireland air bases, on Atlantic missions, protecting shipping, attacking U-boats, etc, during WW2 ? Thanks, David C

Thanks

David, Hi
    Welcome aboard!
    Are you solely concerned with Atlantic missions with N Ireland bases as their start/return point? We have the details of a number of regular Met Reconnaisance flights out over the Atlantic (you can also find them in "Even the Birds Were Walking" by P G Rackliff). These flights were also based at Tiree, Brawdy/St Davids, and in Cornwall - thus my question.
    A/S Patrols often followed similar "regular" routes, but these routes were often altered depending on U-boat locations derived from Enigma decoded intelligence - which, of course, the crews knew nothing about!!!. Additionally, A/S Patrols would be mounted in the vicinity of any Convoy - for where there was a Convoy, there were likely to be U-boats!!!
    This, I suspect is a vast subject, but I'm sure there are Experts on the Forum who will know more about it than I do.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 14th December 2007 at 16:32. Reason: Hit wrong key!!

Thanks

Hi,

Was the patrol named eg Fate 3, Fox, Frice?

Ross