Thread: Fatal Typhoon Crash, August 25th 1944

Thanks

Default Fatal Typhoon Crash, August 25th 1944

Hi. Can anyone assist me in identifying the pilot of a Typhoon aircraft which crashed at R.A.F. Clyffe Pypard, near Swindon, on 25th August 1944? If possible I would also like to learn the aircraft number, squadron, purpose of the flight, etc. The pilot may have been Australian.
    According to letters in my possession two Typhoons appoached the field, one with an engine emergency. As that aircraft approached to land it's engine cut out at an altitude of about 100 feet, the aircraft crashed and the pilot was killed instantly. The letters indicate that the pilot was Australian.
    Thanks very much for any help. Jim

Thanks

Hello Jim

Typhoon Ib MN207 of 3 TEU (Tactical Exercise Unit) based at Chedworth airfield, Gloucestershire, dived into the ground 150 yds NW of Clyffe Pypard airfield killing 1394658 Flt/Sgt Colin Samuel Cameron. According to CWGC his unit was 165 Squadron and his wife lived at Newcastle, where he is buried.

165 Squadron was based at Detling and equipped with Spitfire IX at this time.

HTH

DaveW

Thanks

Default Role of a T.E.U.

That's very helpful Dave. Thank you very much.

Can anyone please clarify for me the role of a Tactical Exercise Unit? Were they sub-units of O.T.U.'s? What are possible reasons that a pilot assigned to a Spitfire squadron would have been flying a Typhoon assigned to a T.E.U.? Could this have been conversion training prior to re-assignment to a Typhoon squadron, or did the T.E.U.'s serve a different purpose?

Thanks. Jim

Thanks

hello,

No. 3 T.E.U. was reformed on 21/3/44 by renumbering No. 4 T.E.U., which was itself formed in January 1944 from No. 55 O.T.U. (Annan). It was used to train fighter-bomber pilots for ground attack Squadrons. It was disbanded on 18th December 1944 and aircraft and personnel were transferred to No. 55 O.T.U.

So, as you presumed, 'your' pilot was probably in the process of converting from Spitfires to Typhoons (the attrition rate in Typhoon units during the Battle of Normandy was quite high).

joss