Thread: 16 Sep 1944 ships bombed in Holland ?

Thanks

Default 16 Sep 1944 ships bombed in Holland ?

On 16 September 1944 No 331 (N) Sqn is on a bombing mission. According to the ORB several ships/barges are hit at the "CETAY (?) CANAL joining harbour." Direct hits observed.

As this is during the re-grouping of German forces just before OPERATION MARKET GARDEN, I wondered if these barges carried German troops.

Would anyone be able to share light on this event?

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello Mikkel
    The ORB for 132 Wing has no more details.
    It just states that 108 sorties by the 4 squadrons were flown. The 7 bombing operations carried out were very successful. Much FLAK was experienced but no aircraft were damaged.
    I have the ORB's for all 4 squadrons.
    At 1325 hrs 12 A/C from 127S took of on a bombing mission (road and rail target at D.5621)
    On the return they spotted a large concentration of troups on the quay side at TERNEUZEN harbour. Also there were 40 to 50 barges at the quay side, 3 barges leaving the harbour and 4 ships of approx 1500 tons west towards FLUSHING. G.C.C. acted immediatly on this information and several squadrons of Typhoons & Sptifires were sent to attack the target.
    127S attacked the target at 1700 hrs led by W/C Berg & G/Cap Morris.

66S did not attack any targets in this area. The undertook 3 operations in the Boulogne, Dunkirk & Cap Gris Nez area.

I have not included the details from the 2 Norwegian squadrons as I am sure you have their ORB's.
    Rewgards
    Andy

Thanks

Thanks Andy,
    yes my information is from the Nowegian sqn ORB's. I am looking for any information confirming troop losses on the German side as a consequence of these attacks.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War