Thread: 78 OTU or 78 Squadron

Thanks

Default 78 OTU or 78 Squadron

for 17/8/1944 the Alamein Memorial has Wilson D.G.G. and Wilson J.H. both RCAF which They Shall Not Grow Old has belonging to 78 OTU and lost in Wellington ME914. The Memorial has a further 4, Metcalfe A.A.R., Gridley A.E., Scott E.I. and Davies R.W. all belonging to 78 Squadron on the same date and these 6 are the only names on the Memorial for this date. I am right in presuming these men were actually with 78 OTU.

Thanks

Default No. 78 Squadron

G'day John

First off the initials for Wilson are D.D.C. not D.D.G.

Scott, Metcalfe and Davies show up on the C.W.G.C. site as members of No.78 Squadron. Gridley's name does not show up at all for the entire Second World War. The two Canadians are no identified by any particualr squadron/unit.

It is interesting to note that No. 78 O.T.U. did indeed operate a large number of Wimpies at Ein Shemer, Palestine to train G.R. crews, whereas No. 78 (B) Squadron had no assocaition with this aircraft type at all.

I'd go with No. 78 O.T.U. based on my findings.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

John,

Given that 78 Sqn was based in the UK at the time and that the names appear on the Alamein Memorial rather than Runnymede, Middle-East-based 78 OTU certainly seems the more likely.

Errol

Thanks

Apologise typo name should have been Gidley not Gridley. Thanks for your prompt replies.