Thread: W/O. A L. Keith RCAF

Thanks

Default W/O. A L. Keith RCAF

Hi All.

I'm looking for the details leading to the loss of this airman, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Peter

Name: KEITH, ALAN LIONEL
    Initials: A L
    Nationality: Canadian
    Regiment/Service: Royal Canadian Air Force
    Unit Text: 221 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 28/04/1943
    Service No: R/90509
    Additional information: Son of Mr. & Mrs. L. S. Keith, of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 10, Column 2.
    Memorial: MALTA MEMORIAL

Thanks

Wellington AD593

Took off from Luqa at 00.55 for shipping strike 30 miles NNE of Ustica. Shotdown by flak off Cape Bianco, Sicily.

F/Sgt A L Keith RCAF
    Sgt A W Brighurst RAF
    F/Sgt J C Paroissien RAAF
    Sgt A Sutherland RAF
    Sgt G Lyle RAF

Postwar No. 5 MREU visited the site of the crash:

"This aircraft crashed into a cliff and its bombload exploded on impact. The machine was scattered over the beach burning. A few remains were recovered and buried on the beach by a local inhabitant. These remains are not recoverable and have probably been washed away by the tides " (1947)

Details from Paroissien's casualty file on the Australian National Archives

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 23rd November 2008 at 23:53. Reason: typos

Thanks

Amrit

Many thanks for your reply, its very much appreciated

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

CWGC doesn't have Lyle as on 221 Sq. but F/Sgt. Clemow (Aus.403920) according to the AWM was with 221 Sq. and was lost on that date.

Thanks

Both the Australian Nominal Roll and the casualty file have Clemow being lost whilst with 172 Squadron, attached to 458 Squadron, in Wellington MP518 (though the NZ Cenotaph site states that the aircraft was MP510 in the entry for the 2nd pilot Prebble )

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=1064777&I=1&SE=1

A

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
    Both the Australian Nominal Roll and the casualty file have Clemow being lost whilst with 172 Squadron, attached to 458 Squadron, in Wellington MP518 (though the NZ Cenotaph site states that the aircraft was MP510 in the entry for the 2nd pilot Prebble )

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=1064777&I=1&SE=1

A
    Amrit,

I suspect that you have just looked at p6 of Clemow's casualty file, where MP510 is incorrectly recorded as MP518 (not SOC until 19146). If you go to p46 you will find Clemow listed on a Circumstantial Report from the OC RAF Luqa along with the rest of his crew - all as being lost on MP510. MP510 is shown there as being 'of 172 Squadron attached to No.458 Squadron'. All except Taylor (458 Sqn) were of 172 Sqn..

The entry in my Vol One reads:

Tue 27/Wed 28 Apr 1943
    MEDITERRANEAN AIR COMMAND
    Anti-shipping patrol
    458 Squadron, RAAF (LG 91 [10 miles SSE of Markaz Amriya], Egypt; detachment at Luqa, Malta - 248 Wing, Malta Air Command)
    Wellington XII MP510 - took off at 2010 and came down into the Mediterranean, where it immediately sank. The two pilots and RAAF radar operator are commemorated on the Malta Memorial. Taken prisoner were RNZAF navigator Fg Off G O Whatnall, wireless operator Sgt D K Rowley and rear gunner Sgt T C Moynihan.
    Captain: NZ41186 Fg Off Ian Douglas PREBBLE, RNZAF - Age 23. 574hrs. 12th op.

With the following amendment noted in Vol Three:

p89; PREBBLE, I D take off time also recorded as 2110. Prebble, though an aircraft captain, was on this occasion acting as 2nd pilot, the captain being Flt Lt J L Taylor, RAF.

Errol

Thanks

Mea culpa, Errol. I did only get as far as the first 10 or so pages, and the file title. No excuse on my part except that it was getting rather late.

regards
    A