Thread: Warrant Officer Arthur Gordon McReavy RAF

Thanks

Default Warrant Officer Arthur Gordon McReavy RAF

Dear all,

I am currently researching 996970 Warrant Officer (Pilot) Arthur Gordon McReavy RAF who was killed in the crash of Shackleton WL746 in Dec 53. I am aware of some of Arthur's service career, but not his wartime movements. I have been able to discover that he served with:

111 OTU - 179 'Y' Sqn - 28 May 46
    179 'Y' Sqn - 210 Sqn - 1 Jun 46
    210 Sqn - 38 Sqn - Oct 47
    38 Sqn - ? - Dec 48
    ? - 240 qn - Apr 53

Has any body come across this man before and can help fill in the blanks for me, please? There is a suggestion that he was awarded the Burma Star.

I have also not been able to confirm whether his body was ever recovered following his final flight. Can anyone help on that one aswell, please?

Thanks in advance

Jonny

Thanks

Hi Jonny
    From Chris Ashmore's "Shackleton" WL746 crashed into the sea off the Argyll coast. There was recovery of some wreckage which showed signs of heavy impact,but no evidence was found on local high ground. This suggests that it might have hit high ground before crashing. There is no indication in the book of recovery of bodies of any of the 240 Sqn crew who were flying an a/c of 269 Sqn
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick,

Thanks. I am aware that the captain and one of the signallers were recovered, but the trail goes cold there. I am presuming that the AHB may know. Do you (or anyone else) have their current adddress?

TIA

Jonny

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Jonny

Have you seen

http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/roll-of-honour/R3206-McREAVY

No place of burial is indicated

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie,

Yes, got that too, although I am not too sure of the Memorial's criteria i.e. are cremations noted or just burials?

Cheers

Jonny

Thanks

All burials and cremations are listed on the Armed Forces Memorial, here are the entries for the whole crew. I would say that those with no listed cemetery or memorial were not recovered.

Flight Lieutenant, Fielding Chevallier, Pilot, 205235, Age 31, Tamlaught Finlagen Churchyard, Ballykelly, Grave 20.
    Flight Sergeant, Arthur Gordon McReavy, Pilot, 996970, Age 37, No cemetery listed.
    Flying Officer, Horace Alexander Brown, Navigator, 2489612, Age 22, Eastern Cemetery, Hull, Section 164B, Grave 67.
    Pilot Officer, Alfred Brinkman, Navigator, 2526584, Age 20, Springbank Cemetery, Aberdeen.
    Sergeant, Maurice Wilfred Richard Griffin, Air Engineer, 2544583, Age 20, No cemetery listed.
    Sergeant, Patrick William Harrington, Air Engineer, 4007653, Age 28, St Michael's Cemetery, Athy, Co Kildare, 2938.
    Sergeant, Lewis Ralph Allen, Air Signaller, 3509320, Age 21, South London Crematorium, Streatham.
    Sergeant, Michael Barron Bern, Air Signaller, 3509232, Age 21, New Oscott College Cemetery, Sutton Coldfield.
    Sergeant, John Dodd, Air Signaller, 4055729, Age 20, Southern Cemetery, Manchester V2388.
    Sergeant, Maurice James Griffin, Air Signaller, 4060888, Age 21, No cemetery listed.

The basis for the crew list is http://www.vpinternational.ca/Book/honour_roll_15.html with the additional information from the Armed Forces Memorial.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

I think that you are right. Thank you for the information in a consolidated form.

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Default Shackleton WL746, 11 December 1953, F/Sgt McReavy

The a/c crashed in a bay near the approach to the south end of the Sound of Mull, in a rainstorm at 17:32, just after it had overflown Oban.
    2 bodies were picked up at Fiunary on 12 December and taken to Londonderry on HMS 'Volage'; 2 more were picked up 'later' (?later in December?) and one was retrieved from the shore at Craignure on 23 January 1954. More wreckage was recovered off Craignure on 20 March 1954. The deaths of those recovered might have been registered locally - probably Craignure - but I have not checked this.
    Flares were reporrted to have been seen between Scallastle Bay and Ardtornish shortly after the crash. Rescue craft from Oban, Tobermory and Mallaig plus Ballykelly Shackeltons searched all night. Kinloss MRT spent 5 days searching both shores of the Sound of Mull coastal mountains (3 officers, 1 SNCO & 30 ORs between 31 March and 6 April).

There were rumours at the time (probably reinforced by the late and intensive MRT effort) and subsequently regarding the nature of the ordnance the a/c may have been carrying.

Above information mainly from 'The Times'.

Keith

Thanks

Keith,

Cheers. A few more pieces to add to the story.

Yours aye

Jonny