Thread: 54 Sqn Tempest 26 Nov 1945

Thanks

Default 54 Sqn Tempest 26 Nov 1945

Can anybody help me with information on three Tempest's that crashed in poor visibility. They took off from Chilbolton and crashed around Andover's villages on 26 November 1945. I know the locations of the crashes but nothing else. Serials, Pilots Name's anything would be appreciated. Many thanks

Thanks

Default Tempest crashes 26 November 1945

All three pilots were killed ...
    Flg Off L.Richardson in MW778, Flt Sgt F.Blakey in MW799 and Sgt P.Hogg (?) in MW811. The latter name is my best effort at deciphering the hand-written card.

The first two 'lost control in cloud' and the last 'banked and lost control at low level'. Perhaps you could confirm the locations for me. They are given as

MW778 Platford Oak Cutts, Hants
    MW799 Mungry Lodge, Wilts
    MW811 Pill(?) Heath, Hants

Thanks

I was P Cobb

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2412960

Thanks

Default Tempest crashes 26 November 1945

Does anyone know if these three losses were all the result of one incident?

I believe, from my understanding of the crash locations, that those of MW 799 (Chute Causeway) and MW811 (Pitt Heath) are quite close together, but that of MW 778 (Clatford Oakcuts) is about 20km away.

Apparently, 'Typhoon & Tempest Story' by Thomas & Shores shows three Tempests of 54 Sqdn crashed on this date because of bad weather. "Pilots were - MW811 W/O P Cobb Crashed at Pill Heath, MW778 F/O L Richardson Crashed at Chatfort, MW799 F/Sgt F. Blakey Crashed at Mungry Lodge."

I have a copy of the hand written RAF Accident card for MW778 which states that aircraft crashed at Clatford Oakcutts (I believe that the correct spellingof the name is Clatford Oakcuts). This differs from the Chafort reported in 'Typhoon and Tempest story' and suggests that location names may not always be correctly spelled!

Any further information at all on this matter would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Thanks

David,

Blakey's death is registered at Marlborough, Wilts and I found a Hungry Lodge S of Tidcombe OS SU294568.

Chute Causway is NW of Andover at approx SU290550.

HTH
    regards

DaveW