Thread: P/O Derek Jacobs 112160

Thanks

Default P/O Derek Jacobs 112160

Hi All
    Anyone know the contact details of any family of P/O Derek Jacobs, died 11/12/41 ?
    I have two eyewitness accounts of his last few days and would like to share them with family. I believe he had a brother and a sister.
    James

Thanks

Default P/O Derek Jacobs

James
    According to cwgc.org his parents were in Woking, Surrey 1940s so there may still be relatives living in the area, although www.bt.com [go to directory at the bottom of page] only has one Jacobs in Woking but there are 2 pages of Jacobs in surrounding areas.

You could write to the Jacobs in Woking ?

Try a notice in a local newspaper or local radio [google] This has sometimes worked for me when looking for WW2 airmen relatives .

Anne

Thanks

Dear Anne
    Thank you for your kind reply
    This is proving a tough nut to crack

I tried the bt route a few years ago and had no joy when telephoning around.
    Local papers gave me a very cold brush off. A shame because it would make a good story.
    I found the family of another crewman a few years ago and have made much contact with his extended family, even attendin the opening of a new road named in his honour which was covered well by the local press (though with several factual inaccuracies).

I have found both Derek and his parents via "genes connected" but have had no reply from the only contact there. I have found them on the 1939 electoral register along with what I believe to be his siblings.
    I have visited the house and the current owners have no knowledge of the family.
    Derek does not appear on war memorials in either of the two churches on the same road that he lived. Neither is he on the West Byfleet or the Woking War Mems. I have only found him on Runnymede.

A kind chap from the Aircrew Assoc did a search for me on the AJEX lists and he does not appear on any of the Jewish servicemen's registers he could find.
    A former member of 83 squadron ground crew who actually worked on Derek's aircraft and lives locall could not recall him and the local aircrew assoc were unable to cast any light.
    I coud not find any local schools that were old enough to hold records from that era.
    My guess is that the family later moved away but as yet have been unable to find where as the BMD web site does not yet cover the potential death dates for his parents.

I did once hear that the Inland Revenue of all people have a seldom used service that can track people down. Have you heard of anything along those lines?

The search goes on.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Dear James
    I can understand the frustration ! I've had a few unsuccessful searches & many successful ones for crew relatives but it's taken years .Even when people in a particular village had known a KIA airman's mother before she died I couldn't find a living relative there.Another KIA airman's parents had moved to Guernsey from Essex,in the 1950s & an official at St Peter Port had found the mother's grave for me.Another family had moved to Australia in the 1960s .

I don't know of the Inland Revenue service but you could try looking at the IR website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm. Sometimes unlikely things surprise but it's a long shot .

If all else fails you could try a professional paid researcher.I have been greatly helped by this lady, Patricia O'Neill
    http://london-archive-searches.com/

Jewish groups seem to have good networks.There might be a website search network ??

I have found that northern newspapers reporters & radio stations eg Leeds & Burnley seem more interested in people searches, esp WW2 related, than the southern ones. I've done broadcasts on 5 Live radio for crew relatives.

Apart from his siblings you could be looking for cousins ,nieces & nephews & sometimes they have no interest or knowledge of their WW2 relative.

Best of luck & I hope you get there eventually !
    Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 28th November 2008 at 13:48.

Thanks

Dear Anne
    Thank you for your reply

The Jewish chap recommended http://www.ajex.org.uk/ as Jacobs is a good Jewish name. No luck for me there but one worth keeping in the back pocket for future searches.

Off to try the inland revenue !!!
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

James,

I can strongly recommend joining Rootschat.com, it's a free family history forum and they have a lot of kind and helpful members (like Rafcommands). They certainly put me on the right way to find possible surviving relatives of F/O Peter Looker! You can also find lots of info on FreeBMD.com though their listings of births, marriages and deaths are not complete.

Good luck!

Walter

Thanks

Dear Walter
    Thank you for that tip. I will try rootschat.
    It was through crossreferencing genes connected with the 1938 Electoral Roll and BMD births that I have been able to trace his, and his sibling's births, also his parents marriage, but that is as far as I have got.
    Off to Rootschat now.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Default Derek Jacobs

James
    I'm now trying descendants of the Watkins family [3 sons & 2 daughters] who lived in Gloucester 1901 & one son living there, for sure, in the 1940s .Two of the sons emigrated to Sydney sometime in the 1900s, pre 1918. I'm looking into the Sydney connection & the family of one son's wife who was French ,from the Pacific New Caledonia islands.

Their son, Flt/Sgt Marcel Alfred Barnard Watkins RAAF , of 100 sqdn RAF, was killed in April 1943 WW2 in a Lancaster crash in Denmark & I'm trying to find his relatives for a memorial .I'm just starting on the local newspaper route & local radio in Glos. & Sydney.There are about 140 Watkins in the BT on line phone directory in the Gloucester area & surrounds !!

I had a some luck with rootschat, once, in finding an area of UK where a family once lived.
    I may give it another go for Marcel's family .

Anne