Thread: G/Capt F G Sherriff MC OBE

Thanks

Default G/Capt F G Sherriff MC OBE

Hello all, i'm trying to get the promotions/awards for Frederick George Sherriff who died on 31st January 1943. The LG is not playing ball with me and keeps coming up with an error message!

Can anyone help with his First World War promotions and awards. I'm not sure if his MC was with the RAF or prior when he was with the DLI and York and Lancs?

Any other info also welcomed! I already know he fenced in the Olympics in the 1920's.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

You are not the only one to be getting an error message out of the LG at the moment.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

I got this far but LG is being very slow

MC
    14 JANUARY, 1916
    Second Lieutenant Frederick George Sherriff.
    York and Lancaster Regiment

A

Thanks

Default G/C F.G. Sherriff, MC, OBE

From a data base of interwar air awards:

SHERRIFF, Frederick George, W/C, MC - Officer, Order of the British Empire - awarded as per London Gazette dated 3 June 1935 in King's Birthday List; reported in Aeroplane of 5 June 1935. Invested with award, 9 July 1935. Previously served in Durham Light Infantry. Awarded MC for army services in France. As of 1918 he was in York and Lancaster Regiment but with the formation of the RAF (1 April 1918) he was appointed Superintendent of Gymnasia. Seconded for duty with the RAF in 1920. Granted permanent RAF commission, 1 August 1921 in rank of Flight Lieutenant. Promoted Wing Commander, 1 January 1934. Placed on retired list, July 1936; Aeroplane of 8 July 1936 had long biographical note; he was an expert in physical training and commanded the School of Physical Training, Uxbridge, from 1925 forwards. Died 31 January 1943.

Public Record Office Air 2/326 has recommendation for an OBE dated 19 March 1928. It was clearly intended for the King's Birthday List of that year; he was still a Squadron Leader.

"In his duties in connection with physical training, Squadron Leader Sherriff mixes a great deal with the other Services and has at all times very creditably represented the Royal Air Force. He invariably considers the Service point of view and always endeavours to further the interest of the Service to which he belongs. He has brought it great credit through his activities in the fencing world, having been amateur champion, but I consider the greatest credit is due to him for the excellent work he has done in preparing Royal Air Force representative parties for the Royal Tournament at Olympia annually, which have brought great credit to the Royal Air Force because of his very capable training."

The Times of 15 February 1943 carried a letter from an unidentified correspondent that read:

"His numerous friends in the Royal Air Force, and in particular many thou
    sands of officers commissioned for ground duties since the outbreak of war, learned with sorrow of the unexpected death in hospital of Group Captain F.O. Sherriff, OBE, MC. Before he retired from regular service in the rank of Wing Commander he was specially known for his personal success and great interest in sport and physical training; his fencing prowess was widely recognized. He was also known to the public by his appearances in command of RAF detachments at such ceremonies as that held on Armistice Day at the Cenotaph. In the early days of the war he was given the task of training newly commissioned officers in the non-flying branches of the service. This task he carried out until within a week of his death with unflagging enthusiasm and energy. He will be vividly remembered by all those who have been under his command as the personification of the soldierly virtues of smartness, discipline and uncompromising devotion to duty - an upright man in every sense of the word. Those who were privileged to work with him on his staff will cherish the memory of an ideal commanding officer and a friend whose sympathy and understanding bound them to him with very close ties. He communicated to all his intense love of the service - to work with him was an inspiration."

Thanks

Wonderful stuff, thanks gents. At the time of his death he was commanding No 2 School of Technical Training at Cosford and according to the ORB he had been for three years. Still not certain of his cause of death but he died in Cosford hospital, so its likely to be some illness?

I still cannot find his MC notification in the LG even when narrowing down the search dates. How did you find it Amrit and was there a citation with it or just the notification?

Cheers, Tom