Thread: Averge Age Bombercommand

Thanks

Default Averge Age Bombercommand

I found this information on the internet.
    From the Bombercommand 125.000 vollunteers in Bombercommand during WWII some 55.573 died during missions.
    for every 100 men 45 were KIA, 6 became badly injured, 8 were taken POW and 41 of them ended the war without major problems. Te averige age of these man was 22.
    Was this the average age of all 125.000 members of Bombercommand or the age of the men who were killed?

Thanks

Why not ask the writer of the internet source to answer your question.

Then if not satisfied, post the reply here and ask for confirmation.

Un-credited posts do not allow information sources to be considered and value put to their contents.

Round numbers worry me.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I would say, without knowing official statistics but just by reading service records of & books about WW2 aircrews & talking to ex WW2 RAF ,SAAF & RAAF men that the everage age would have been early 20s for those crew who flew in the planes ? Ground crew may have been older, on average ?? I presume they survived longer !! [I have limited knowledge of their ages]

My father ,the pilot & co-pilot of his last flight were in their late 20s which was considered older than average .The navigator & other crew were aged 19 -23. They were bomber crews in Italy rather than Bomber Command in England .

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 27th December 2010 at 21:14.

Thanks

Not sure if this answers your posting or not, but i was viewing a programme last week which stated the average age of all BC Aircrew was 22yrs.
    I did research on one RCAF A/G, who was actully 16 when killed with an operational squadron, just goes to show how old he was when he joined up.

Thanks

spijkerfestijn
    Us Met-Persons are notorious and fastidious about stats. And for that reason I go along with Ross' suspicion of 'round numbers'. What are you trying to prove, or compare and/or contrast? AlanW's 16-yr old is, no doubt, counter-balanced by a significant number of BC KIAs who were (relatively speaking) 'Grandads' - and who had, presumably, "lied about their age(s)" as well? To compare/contrast with any other area of WW2 military activity (Allied, or Axis) you absolutely MUST have precisely comparable stats. Otherwise I suspect you may be on a nugatory exercise (like chasing the wrong wild geese up the wrong gum trees - if you follow my twisted analogy!).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi,
    The average age was bothering me because someone asked me..
    I'm writing an article about an Lancaster Crash near my village. I have used Internet as a guide to get some "facts" now I have almost complete the storie but some things I haven't checked. The crew of the plane
    consisted of men al in their early 20, (2x19, 1x21, 1x22, 1x23 1x27 and one of 30)
    When I had a presentation about this crash some people asked me what was the average age of the airman in Bombercommand. I said 22 but this was based on a not verified Internet source. In the article I wrote the average age was early twenties.

I thought some researcher must have made some analyses on these figures. Lets close the discussion because it's for me not that important.
    Hans

Thanks

For 4 Gp. of the 7,991 casualties I have, 6,188 have an age either from CWGC or TSNGO which produces a surprisingly low average of 19.98.