Thread: French pilot?

Florent Boud'Hors Guest

Default French pilot?

According to the family history, my grandfather, Francois Boud'Hors, came from France to Britain at the beginning of WW2 and served in the RAF. It was said that he did not serve in the FAFL (French Free Air Forces) but in the RAF proper.
    Since he hardly ever spoke about the war to my father, we do not know which unit he was in.
    Does anyone have any information which would confirm this? If so, would you have any more details than I do?

Thank you

Thanks

hello,

There are a few Frenchmen who actually served in the R.A.F., and not in the Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres, but actually I can't only remember two of them from memory.

You should try to locate further details in the family history. Are you sure he was a pilot ? From my own experience, lots of people confuse the word "aviateur" (airman), which just means "member of the armée de l'air / air force) with a "personnel navigant" / aircrew. There were much more groundcrew than aircrews, and families are often disappointed.

Is there any picture of him in uniform, any information of rank, award, pension ?

You could try the RAF Personel Management Agency, which is now located at RAF Cranwell, but if you don't even have a servicenumber, it could be difficult to have a proper answer.

Joss

Thanks

Hello,

Marcel BOUTHORS, born in Feb 1910 in Amiens, could be the most closest name of your grand-father with the Free French. Could it be this man with a bad spelling when he recorded his name ?

Bertrand

Florent Boud'Hors Guest

It seems that he was under a false name, and pretended to be Canadian, as he had served and taken prisonner in the French Army. We're looking for photos to see if find more information.

Thank you for your quick replies