Thread: A bad night for 407 Squadron

Thanks

Default A bad night for 407 Squadron

In a description of the death of P/O James Creeden,DFM, and his crew on the St Mary's Church, Great Bircham cemetery website, the writer says:

"All the crew of five were killed, 1/2 mile north of RAF Coningsby, in the crash of their Lockheed Hudson, serial AM864 (RR-R), whilst attempting an emergency landing at that airfield. After taking off from RAF Bircham Newton at 20.21hrs on his 31st operation, the aircraft had been badly shot up whilst attacking an enemy Convoy at low level off the Friesian islands near the Dutch coast.

"In addition to this aircraft which crashed at RAF Coningsby, two other aircraft from 407Sqn. crash-landed at RAF Docking, and four other aircraft from that Squadron were lost over the Sea. It was a bad night for 407 Squadron, 22 Aircrew were killed, four seriously injured and one taken prisoner. Of 11 aircraft from 407 Sqn on this mission, only four returned unharmed. During the raid the enemy lost two ships (Selje MV - 6698 ton and Madeleine Louise - 464 ton) sunk, with four others hit.

I would like to reconstruct this raid a bit, since it also involves another air crew that I am researching. Their plane, Hudson AM906 (RR-O), with F/Sgt. Kippen as air obs., was hit by flak and crashed on landing as detailed in my earlier post on him.

Does anyone have the squadron's OB or info on the "bad night"?

I will look elsewhere for the German naval side of things, unless one of you knows about that too.
    David

Thanks

Default German Navy

David,

I googled "Kriegsmarine" and up came quite a few interesting choices, didn't have time to pursue any.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 28th November 2008 at 19:13. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

Hi,
    Some years ago i did some research for a relative of Wally Creeden and amongst other things, i have the ORB pages for the operation concerned. I will look them up later on and scan and send to you probably tomorrow (Saturday)
    Regards.......Alan.

Thanks

Default 407 sqn Donald S. Mather

RCAF 407sqn MATHER, Donald Stuart (R.54288) - Born 26 August 1916 in Ottawa, Canada. Enlisted in Ottawa, 13 August 1940. Promoted Flight Sergeant, 1 October 1941. Missing 10 October 1941 (No.407 Squadron, Hudson AM586).

I am looking for information about my Canadian uncle named above. I believe 407 was stationed at Thorney Island UK. in 1941. I am interested in any details you might have about him and in particular any details regarding his mission, on October 10, 1941. I have only started researching recently and would be grateful for any information that you or anyone else might have. I have been to visit his memorial at Runnymede UK.
    Last edited by Ottca; 24th December 2008 at 01:01. Reason: corrected aircraft number error

Thanks

I thik the Hudson was AM586, marked "RR*T". AN586 was a Vultee Vengence.

Thanks

Thanks Alan for the pages from the ORB, exciting reading they are, although the diarist seems to underplay the "bad night" and refers rather blandly to a lack of aircraft as hampering his squadron's activities the next few days. He does, however, remark on the heroism of his crews for attacking a convoy that was well-armed with flak in those outdated aircraft and managing to find their way home all shot up. I will try to post a short recounting of the tale soon.

And to Ottca... I am new to 407 sqn too and the pages above only apply to mid-May 1942, so Alan or Dakota might be able to help.
    David

Thanks

I think the diarists were optimistic, I once read on the O.R.B.'s of a Halifax Squadron loosing a third of their aircraft yet the op was described as very successful. It does make sense though as they were keeping morale very focused.