Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Moth 412 (RCAF) Squadron 1943/44

Thanks

Default Tiger Moth 412 (RCAF) Squadron 1943/44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys

Does anyone know the serial number of the Tiger Moth on the strength of 412 (RCAF) Squadron 1943/44?

Not only would I like to know, but my friends at the Takali Air Museum at Malta would also be interested.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Your best contact on this matter is Bill Walker, who hosts this website...
    http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/index.htm
    Bill the Canadian "Inquire within upon everything" on aircraft serial numbers in Canada. He'd be the fellow I would contact.

Jim

Thanks

Default Tiger Moth

G'day Brian

Take you pick.

Tiger Moth Mk. II T5494
    Tiger Moth Mk. II T6569
    Tiger Moth Mk. II T7914
    Tiger Moth Mk. II DE138
    Tiger Moth Mk. II DE319

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default More Tiger Moths

G'day again Brian

The serial numbers are actually of
    all the known Tiger Moths that served with the squadron.
    I'd have to look at the ORB's to find out when they were actually on squadron strength.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Eagerly awaiting Chris' reply. My database only shows T5468, with 411 Sdn in 1942/1944.

Thanks

Default Tiger Moth 412 Squadron.

Thanks Jim, Chris and Bill

I had a peek at 412's ORB a couple of days ago - Tiger Moths and their activities are not recorded. I was specifically seeking the serial of the TM that was attached to Beurling's 'A' Flight circa December 1943-April 1944 - the one in which he caused a stir!!

My friends at Malta are refurbishing a derelict TM and they wish to paint it in the colours and with the serial number of that which Beurling flew.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian
    Tiger Moth II, DE319 was used by 412 sqn, 'B' Flt by F/Sgt WF 'Bill' Aldcorn on 11-10-42 when he took F.Sgt FH 'Joe' Richards from Kenley to Redhill.10mins.
    Tiger Moth II, DE319 on 18-10-42 flown by F.Sgt Richards took F/Sgt Hollingsworth on a local from Redhill for 45 mins.
    Regards
    Roy

Thanks

Default Tiger Moth 412 Squadron.

Thanks Roy

That's one we can eliminate from Chris' list - unless it later went to A Flight!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian;

I don't think hacks like this were assigned to individual flights. It might have been used by B Flight one day and then A Flight the next.

Thanks

Default Screwball Beurling

Hi guys

Below is a response from Stephen to my latest enquiries - I trust he won't mind me reproducing them here.

Hi Brian,

I don't think it's a question of news travelling fast, just the fact that you're beating around the bush with the glut of questions, not only on 12 OCH but RAF Commands and god knows what other boards. Why not come out and say what you're doing? What's there to hide? I mean, it's all fine and dandy that you're doing this work on behalf of the crew in Malta refurbishing a direlect TM, but really, trying to hit two birds with one stone can be a little tricky and people, especially the ones who like to help others will loose their sense of humour.

Stephen

Yes, I am writing a book about Screwball Beurling, to be published in Malta in the new year. And yes, the Takali Air Museum is refurbishing their Tiger Moth to represent the machine that Beurling flew with 412 Squadron. I was requested by the Director of the Museum to establish the relevant details, if atall possible.

I am not trying to hide the fact that I am writing about Beurling, and I do thank those TOCH and RAF Commands members who have kindly responded with information - I do hope that none of you will lose your sense of humour!

I do apologise if I have inadvertently 'hood-winked' any RAF Commands members.

Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by brian; 30th November 2008 at 17:09.