Thread: Death of F/Lt R.G. Evans Evans

Thanks

Default Death of F/Lt R.G. Evans Evans

Hello,

I would like to know the circonstance of the death of F/Lt Roland Guynne Evans Evans
    123750 who died on 2 October 1944 with 2804 Squadron .
    He was the brother of Group Captain Anthony Caron Evans Evans the station C/O of Coningsby in 1944 and was killed in February 45 during an operation .
    And what was the purpose of 2804 Squadron ??

Thank you for your lights .

Alain

Thanks

Default 2804 Squadron - F/Lt Roland Guynne Evans Evans

Hello Alain

2804 Squadron were part of the RAF regiment - you might like to read this piece from the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/52/a9033752.shtml - it would appear from this piece that his unit (2742 squadron) met up with 2804 your side of the channel. and from the excellent website of Malcolm Barass http://www.rafweb.org/Regiment2.htm

2804 Squadron

Formed as No 804 Squadron at Cosford on 19 December 1941, having been unnumbered from the previous April. On 1 February 1942 all RAF Regiment Squadrons had 2000 added to their numbers. Moving to Halton in 1942 and converting to the Field role in March 1943. The squadron joined 2nd Tactical Air Force in April 1944, becoming an Armoured Car Unit in Unit in July and moving to the continent in September, being deployed to St Criox and the Ardennes before entering Germany. Here it initially deployed to Wunstorf and then Gatow, where it disbanded in June 1946. Members of the squadron were awarded one MC (see below), two Croix de Guerre and one Mention in Despatches.

and

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Northamptonshire/PeterboroughKingsSchool.html

Hope this gives you some background information?

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Hi Alain
    2804 Sqn was an RAF Regt. Unit that served with 2nd TAF from about Sept. '44 as an Armoured Car Unit. There is some detail on http://www.rafweb.org/Regiment2.htm . It is clear that they did experience ground fighting and perhaps that was how Evans lost his life
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Was EVANS-EVANS, Roland Gwynne in 108 squadron RAF at any point , I have records of a R G Evans that flew wellingtons. Wonder if its the same fella or two different people. thx
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 21st December 2018 at 23:03. Reason: tidied up formatting

Thanks

Brock,

http://www.unithistories.com/officer...icers_E01.html

Commissioned 26 June 1942 Royal Air Force Regiment (emergency commission)
    2 October 1944 2804 Squadron RAF Regiment Died of wounds received on active service

In a letter to the widow Flt.-Lieut. Evans-Evans' Colonel writes: "I am writing to try to express in some small way my sympathy in the loss of your husband. He came to me on a course when I commanded the battle school, and he was always so unfailingly cheerful and hard-working that it was a pleasure to have him. I have been down to see his flight, who were quite lost without him. I am more than sympathetic with you, as I lost my own wife at the Guards' Chapel. From our own points of view these are just inevitable disasters. I feel that there is nothing for us but to realise that we are just two among hundreds of thousands who are suffering some kind of loss. From a personal look at the ground I feel sure that he carried out a very gallant little patrol. By seeing that his armoured cars did not close up, and were ready to move off, after being already turned round, he saved many more losses. As I see it, what happened was as follows: The unit had just moved to a new position, actually in the front line, and your husband, with a troop of A.F.V.'s and two rifle flights from another squadron, had been detailed for their protection. In view of the tricky situation in front, your husband moved to go out with a patrol to try to clear it up, and find out exactly where the enemy were. Just before getting to a crossroads overlooked by buildings on the far side of a canal, he appears to have become suspicious, and halted his three armoured vehicles under cover. He had been told that the enemy were in this vicinity. He himself dismounted and went forward alone to investigate more closely, and it was at this point that the enemy opened fire. He was hit with the first shot, but returned the fire. The enemy then brought very heavy mortar fire to bear on the whole patrol. It was by one of these mortar shells that your husband was hit. He is buried nearby a little shrine." OTHER LETTERS. The padre and other officers have also written letters of consolation, In which they extol Flt.-Lt. Evans Evans' courage and leadership. One officer says: "In the presence of his men, he was buried at the foot of a wayside Calvary".
    Regards,

Dave