Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/O Stan Cleworth, RAF Silloth, RCAF

Thanks

Default F/O Stan Cleworth, RAF Silloth, RCAF

I have a record of this RCAF Flying Officer from Toronto (yes, he's another of the Malvern high school grads I am researching). He died 27/12/1943.

Service No: J/27208
    Additional information: Son of Charles Warburton Ingle Cleworth and Ethel May Cleworth, of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. R. Grave 18.
    Cemetery: SILLOTH (CAUSEWAYHEAD) CEMETERY, HOLME LOW

From my initial searches, it appears he might have been the victim of a training accident since this airfield was used from 10 March 1943 to July 1945, by No. 6 OTU with Wellingtons and Ansons, 311 (Czech) Sqn with Liberators. There is also no mention of a Squadron in his CWGC file, which is why I am leaning towards this possibility.

Does anyone have the casualty records for this OTU or the equivalent of an ORB (did OTUs have ORBs?)

Thanks
    David

Thanks

Default Cleworth

G'day Dave

Your man was was at No. 55 Operational Training Unit. He was killed in a mid-air collision with another Hawker Hurricane while carrying out a sector reconnaissance. I'll send you an e-mail tonight with further details.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Dave,

He was the other pilot in this incident:

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998)':

Mon 27 Dec 1943
    ALLIED EXPEDITIONARY AIR FORCE
    Sector reconnaissance and dog fight practice
    55 Operational Training Unit, RAF (Annan, Dumfriesshire - 9 Group, Air Defence of Great Britain)
    Hurricane X AG175 - took off at about 0930, completed one dogfight and began another with one of the Unit’s Hurricane Is (V7010). During the engagement the fighters collided in mid-air, at 1045, and are believed to have crashed 10 miles SW of Carlisle, Cumberland. The pilots, both age 19, are buried at Silloth. (Note: The crash site is described in official records as ‘at Dalston, 10 miles SW of Carlisle’, but Dalston lies only 4 miles away, not 10. ‘Near’ Dalston, as the closest town of significant size to the crash site, may have been intended rather than ‘at’.)
    Pilot: NZ427044 Flt Sgt Owen Ernest Dudley LOUDEN, RNZAF - Age 19. 378hrs.

Errol

Thanks

Wonderful, thanks Errol.

I was told that there is a picture of Loudon somewhere in the NZ Archives, but the link didn't work. Do you know where I can find one? Is there a picture in the reference you cited?
    David

Thanks

Dave,

From my Vol Three:

LOUDEN, Flight Sergeant Owen Ernest Dudley.
    NZ427044; b Hamilton 19 Jan 24; Hamilton THS; draughtsman's assistant - Waikato EPB, Hamilton. ATC; RNZAF Taieri as Aircrafthand (ATC) 11 Jul 42, remust as Airman Pilot u/t 27 Jul 42, 1EFTS c.27 Jul 42, 2SFTS 17 Oct 42, Pilots Badge [wef 29.12.42] & Sgt 6 Mar 43, att RAF & emb for UK 4 Apr 43, 12PD&RC 29 May 43, 17(P)AFU 6 Jul 43, 55OTU (Hurricane) 16 Nov 43, kaa 27 Dec 43. Silloth (Causewayhead) Cemetery - R.16, Holme Low, Cumb., England. Son of John Frederick & Elsie Louden (née Booth), Hamilton. [phot. TWN 26.5.43, & 9.2.44 & 6.9.44].

EPB = Electric Power Board
    TWN - refers to a New Zealand paper called 'The Weekly News'. The three issues with photos are:

26 May 43 page 12 (head and shoulders view, one of two airmen pictured)
    9 Feb 44 page 22 (smaller view, passport size, head and shoulders view)
    6 Sep 44 page 26 (photo of a memorial trophy in his memory presented by his parents to the Hamilton Yacht Club)

Copies can be obtained from the RNZAF Museum, who hold an almost complete set of TWN for WWII - info@airforcemuseum.co.nz

Errol

Thanks

Default F/O Stan Cleworth, RAF Station Silloth, RCAF

I trust you realize that, as a wartime casualty, his file is available for public viewing with all its details. For the moment (from an incomplete source) I contribute the following:

Born 11 March 1924. Enlisted in Toronto, 15 April 1942. To No.1 Manning Depot, 15 May 1942. To No.4 Manning Depot, 2 July 1942. To No.5 ITS, 12 September 1942. Graduated and promoted LAC, 6 November 1942 but not posted to No.20 EFTS until 5 December 1042. To No.2 SFTS, 20 February 1943. Graduated and commissioned, 11 June 1943. To No.1 OTU, Bagotville, 25 June 1943. ZTo "Y" Depot, 11 September 1943. Taken on strength of No.3 PRC, 13 October 1943. Killed 27 December 1943.

Thanks

Thanks Hugh. I am aware that service records are readily available from Ottawa and I will be following up on that but by "available for public viewing" do you mean they are online somewhere or available at a reference library? I haven't come across a source yet.

I was starting from the CWGC info, which mentioned no squadron since he was in an OTU. I have close to 80 air crew I am researching so at some point I will need to visit the archives.
    David

Thanks

Re "available for public viewing" - you (or a researcher working on your behalf) can visit the National Library and Archives (Ottawa), request the appropriate box, and look at the file without restriiction. Process takes about one day from requesting box to its arrival at thye archives (boxes are stored in another building some miles distant).

You can also order in advance to have the box delivered to the main National Library and Archives building, so that it is there when you arrive from Toronto. However, of late there has been frequent turnovers of staff at National Library and Archives, resulting in several instances of delays or mixups not encountered in the past. Not a big problem for a person who lives in Ottawa and can visit the National Library and Archives routinely; more awkward when one has travelled from Toronto or Calgary to consult documents.

Thanks

Can WWII R.C.A.F. records be obtained on line?

Norman

Thanks

"Can WWII R.C.A.F. records be obtained on line ?"

No.