Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W/C Hugh H. Miller (43041) RAF / RNZAF

Thanks

Default W/C Hugh H. Miller (43041) RAF / RNZAF

Can anyone provide me with any information about the above named airman who saw out the war gaining a number of awards, possibly retiring as W/C H.H. Miller DFC AFC OBE MiD (x4). There should be something somewhere written about him.

I understand he was a New Zealander, serving in the RAF in the early part of the War.

He crash landed Whitley T4138 on the North Yorkshire Moors on 15th Dec 1940, an incident which I am researching.

Many thanks. Rich Allenby

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Rich

Your man is Hayden Hugh James Miller

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Name of F/O Hubert Harvey Miller (J/4697, RCAF) is linked to this crash as well. He was from Nova Scotia.

He came out injured, but was killed on 12/02/1942 on other mission.

Perhaps following website may be interesting:
    http://www.allenby.info/aircraft/planes/40/arden1.html

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Rich,

From Colin Hanson's splendid 'By Such Deeds - Honours and awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force 1923-1999':

MILLER, Wing Commander Hayden Hugh James, OBE, DFC, AFC, mid(4). NZ1996 & 132166; Born Eureka, 31 Mar 1914; RAF 29 Aug 1939 to 21 Sep 1943, 43041; RNZAF 22 Sep 1943 to 16 Dec 1946, Res. 17 Aug 1950 to 31 Mar 1969; Pilot.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (6 Jun 1941): [77 Sqn RAF (Whitley)] This officer has completed numerous operational missions. Throughout these flights he has displayed great determination and a complete disregard of enemy opposition. He has attacked many objectives in enemy and enemy occupied territory with marked success. On one occasion, he completed an operation over Turin in almost impossible weather conditions. His courage and skill have inspired confidence in every crew of which he has acted as captain.
    Citation Mention in Despatches (1) (11 Jun 1942): For meritorious service with 22 OTU RAF (Wellington) as a Flt Lt. Participated in the first ‘1000’ bomber raids on 30/31 May and 1/2 Jun 1942.
    Citation Mention in Despatches (2) (NY1943): For meritorious service with 22 OTU, 91 Group RAF (Wellington), as an Actg Sqn Ldr.
    Citation Mention in Despatches (3) (14 Jan 1944): For meritorious service with HQ 91 Group RAF, as a Sqn Ldr.
    Citation Air Force Cross (8 Jun 1944): [HQ 91 Group RAF] This officer has been employed as Group flying instructor at this unit since November, 1943. Previously, as a flying instructor and flight commander he did outstanding work in No 22 OTU. His new duties, which he has performed with conspicuous success, entail visiting all Operational Training Units, where he examines and tests flying instructors and air crews under training in their various duties, both in the air, by day and night, and on the ground, paying particular attention to detail. To this work, Squadron Leader Miller has brought the utmost tact, patience and efficiency. He has completed a total of 680 hours flying on OTU instructional duties.
    Citation Mention in Despatches (4) (14 Jun 1945): For meritorious service with 24 OTU RAF (Wellington).
    Citation Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (NY1946): [24 OTU RAF (Wellington)] Wing Commander Miller has been employed as the Chief Instructor at this unit for nearly a year. During this time the Training Wing has been completely re-organised and has changed its record within [93] Group from being the Station which had sustained the greatest number of flying accidents per hour flown, to the Station with the fewest number of accidents per hour flown. For the first three months of the year no less than 6,800 hours per accident were flown which was in itself a very notable achievement. In addition, during one month the Unit achieved top place in every subject in the Group Order of Merit. This outstanding improvement has been largely the result of Wing Commander Miller’s self-sacrificing efforts and devotion to duty. He has always been available at all hours of the day and night and his efficiency and unstinting application to his work have won the confidence and respect of all the personnel on the Wing and on the Station.
    Member of the ‘Goldfish Club’; Official History records that on 5 Nov 1940 Flt Lt Miller was the captain of a 77 Sqn Whitley which carried out a solo night attack on Turin, flying through atrocious weather en-route to and from the target. After flying for over 11 hours they were forced, through lack of fuel, to ditch at sea. The crew were all picked up, from their dinghy, by an RN trawler 4½ miles off the NE coast of England. Member RNZAF contingent London Victory Parade 8 Jun 1946.

Errol

Thanks

I assume that conclusion is that W/C Miller RNZAF is not the Miller of T4138 as presumed in original post by Rich?

Leendert

Thanks

Default Hugh Miller

Leendert, thanks, yes, Im aware of the website you link to - its my own ! Im current rewriting many of these pages and the error I made has just come to light through correspondance with one of the correct HHJ Millers family.

The chap who became W/C Miller is the correct chap, the RCAF gent I show his photo and Runnymede entry on my website is the incorrect chap and Im about to delete this from my website.

Eddie and Errol, many thanks.

I believed that Id made an error in the actual name of the pilot of T4138 linking HHJ Miller to the aircraft, but now having looked into the crew; the HHJ Miller I'd assumed him to be was an Obs/Nav killed in early 1942 in a Hampden. Correspondance with the family of the airman killed in the crash of T4138 revealed some letters they gained from the MoD stating the pilots service number of 43041 which highlighted my error. Hubert Harvey Miller (J/4697) RCAF being the incorrect airmans ID. Both officers but with different service numbers.

It appears that there were two HHJ Millers, one a new Zealander, and one a Canadian, the Canadian being killed in the Hampden incident in 1942. The New Zealander I learn is still living.

Errol, thanks for sending the biog on him, its very interesting. And whilst Ive got you! Any chance of resending details of how to get your series of books please. How does sending money and postage with you and the UK work ?

Thanks all, much appreciated. Rich Allenby.

Thanks

Rich,

"Errol, thanks for sending the biog on him, its very interesting. And whilst Ive got you! Any chance of resending details of how to get your series of books please. How does sending money and postage with you and the UK work ?"

Email me at errol.martyn AT xtra.co.nz

and I shall send you details of those editions that are still available, etc.

Errol

JamesMiller Guest

Default Wing Commander Haden Hugh James MILLER

He is my father and is still alive although a bit frail.
    He is living in Blenheim N.Z with his wife of 65 years
    I would be happy to answer any questions you may have via Email
    pgw_8@hotmail.com

Regards
    James Miller

Thanks

Default email

James, an email is to follow, thanks for posting on here, regards Rich Allenby

Thanks

Default Wing Commander Hayden Hugh James Miller

Dear Rich,
    I married the above in Feb 1942 and remained with him throughout the war as I am today. During that time I retained all documents relevant to his life and career and at present I have them safely stored with his log book , citations , letters , photos etc . I note some incorrect statements on this site about him. I remain living with him and his and my memories are still incredibly clear. He is aged 95.I am 88(not 65 as stated!)
    Warm regards Marygold wife of Hugh