Thread: De Havilland Hertfordshire crash 23 Oct 1940

Thanks

Default De Havilland Hertfordshire crash 23 Oct 1940

I came across a reference to this aircraft (Churchill apparently flew in a civilian version during the battle of France) and found this note on Wikipedia about the only crash of the type while in RAF service. Does anyone know if the accident report is listed anywhere? I am curious to see who was on the flight. A quick search of the military casualties in the Hertford Cemeteries in the CWGC files didn't turn anything up.

In its civilian airliner variant, it was called the Flamingo.

A single military transport variant was built to specification 19/39 as the DH.95 Hertfordshire. It had oval cabin windows instead of rectangular ones, and seating for 22 paratroopers. A proposed order for 40 was cancelled to leave de Havillands free to produce Tiger Moth trainers. The sole Hertfordshire crashed with the loss of 11 lives at Mill Hill, Hertfordshire on 23 October 1940, apparently due to jamming of the elevator.
    David

Thanks

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2198&highlight=R2510

Thanks

This is maybe the link you were pointing at Paul?

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2198&page=3

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks guys, and sorry for not searching properly first. I did search the old board and thought I had done the new, but obviously didn't. It's amazing how good you all are, even an old prototype one off is here!

In one of the earlier posts, someone remarked on the name Blount but I don't see a follow up on it.

He was Air Vice Marshall Charles Hubert Boulby Blount, of the BEF Air Component - and his name shows up on several cricket sites too. He is listed on the honour roll at Lords.

According to a partial thread from RAF Web members area (the only part I could see, not being a member) says he was on his way to Northern Ireland at the time of the crash.

Does anyone else know where the full story might be found? It doesn't appear to come up in a google search (and yes, I searched Blount here first!)
    Last edited by dfuller52; 5th December 2008 at 18:08. Reason: additional info
    David

Thanks

Default AVM C H B Blount

The only details on Blount's death on rafweb is in Blount's biography, which is not in the members' area.

The details came from his published biography, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Malcolm
    webmaster - rafweb.org

Thanks

Default DH Hertfordshire crash 23/10/1940

There is more information in the book "Though without Anger". There were ELEVEN casualties in the crash - FIVE crew and SIX passengers. The crew were: F/Lt E C N JEFFRIES (Pilot), F/O W LEDLIE (Co-Pilot), CPL A H K ROBERTSON (Wireless Operator), LAC L D RUDLING (Flight Rigger), LACW J WYNNE-HARLEY (Flight Mechanic). Passengers were: AVM C H B BLOUNT, LT CDR M J TOOLE RN, LT (E) T G J MATHIAS RN, P/O G GRANT, P/O F E STRONGE, W/O A BERRY.

AVM BLOUNT was AOC 22 Group and was travelling to Northern Ireland, on a scheduled service, to discuss training exercises with the GOC Northern Ireland.

HTH

Dave Molyneux