Thread: 12 Sqn, March 1942

Thanks

Default 12 Sqn, March 1942

Hi Folks

Can anyone please tell me what Wellington (serial no) was coded PH-R at the end of March 1942? The ORB on the night of the Lubeck raid (28-29/3) shows W8356, but Air Britain says that was the serial of a Boston.

Maybe someone with a copy of 12 Sqn's ORB can see 'PH-R' on some other dates around that time?

Also, I think it was a Mk II Wellington. Can you please confirm the Mark.

Many thanks as always.

Ian

Thanks

Wellington III - BJ653 - PH-R - lost 13-10-1942 over Denmark on a raid to Kiel.

Henk.

Thanks

Default Wellington PH-R

Many thanks for that Henk although I do wonder about whether that's the one I'm after.

Your PH-R, BJ653, was lost more than 6 months after the time of the one I'm interested in. That's a long time in wartime aircraft survival terms. 'Yours' was also a Mk III whereas the others that 12 Sqn sent to Lubeck were all, I think, Mk II's.

A lot could have happened in 6 months with a/c being replaced due to battle losses, withdrawals for maintenance, or simple upgrades (newer marks being introduced).

So you might be right ... but I'm not really sure that yours is the right one for March '42.

That's why I'd wondered if anyone had a copy of the ORB for that period and could see any other references to 'my' PH-R around about March '42. My first thought was that "W8356" contained a simple typo so the actual a/c serial was something close to that.

Ian