Thread: Halifax HR758

Eddie Fell Guest

Default Halifax HR758

This aircraft was lost on the Pilsen raid on 16/4/43.

Who was the pilot responsible for shooting it down?

On the one hand I have Oblt. Gerhard Friedrich 10./NJG4 who it is believed was shot down by the return fire from the Halifax but one of the survivors from the crew has been advised that the pilot was Hptm Heinrich Wohlers NJG/4.

Can anybody assist?

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Eddie,
    Theo Boiten's excellent and recently published books the Nachtjagd War Diaries gives 158 squadron Halifax HR758 as being shot down by your first man, Oblt. Gerhardt Friedrich of 10./NJG4 at 00.16 hrs, at an altitude of 3.400m in the Borrstadt (Buchfink) area. Wohlers is credited with a viermot, probably Stirling W7469 of 75 squadron.
    Regards
    Max
    Last edited by Galgos; 7th December 2008 at 15:58.

Thanks

Default Loss of HR758

I am certain HR758 was as mentioned in the excerpt from my book 'A shaky do' about the Plzen raid of 16/17th April 1943. Freidrich of 10./NJG4 is the only claim which matches.

Shortly after midnight at 00:16 hours, 158 Sqn Halifax HR758 became engaged in combat when well north of track to the northwest of Kaiserslautern.

According to a local police report;

A bomber aircraft flew low over Börrstadt going in an easterly direction above the village of
    Goelheim It was attacked by a German fighter (Bf110) and forced to turn off its course. It
    again turned and flew over Börrstadt and it was noticed that it was losing height; it was
    clearly seen to be a four motor bomber. Suddenly it burst into flames and at the same time
    witnesses report seeing two men bale out. The aircraft was still circling and suddenly there
    was an explosion, whereupon the aircraft broke into two pieces and crashed burning into the
    woods near Hahnweilerhof about two miles north of Börrstadt.
    The attacking fighter was flown by at flown by Oblt. Gerhard Freidrich 10./NJG4. The
    Halifax was his 6th victory. However the night fighter was also brought down as the bomber had returned fire simultaneously at the attacker. 25 In any case the load of incendiary bombs (450x41b, 90x4 ‘X’ type & 24x30lb) and the port wing of the bomber had caught fire. The bomb aimer Pilot Officer Barrett, in an act of selfless bravery had held the forward hatch open for others to bale out, as it would not jettison. Sgt. Newdick, the mid-upper gunner received a blow on the head as he baled out and remembered little. When he reached the ground and released the toggle it fell away off the main harness strap! Fawcett the rear gunner was badly burned about the face and hands when escaping from the blazing turret.26 At the scene of the crash the Australian pilot, Flying Officer Jay, was found dead lying beside the burning aircraft. He was identified by his wrist watch. The body of bomb aimer, Pilot Officer Barrett was discovered 300 metres from the crash site at 08:00 hours on the 17th of April, his parachute had not opened.

There is more in the book on the capture of some of the crew.

Peter

Thanks

Default refs

Sorry for the stange numbers which occur in the posting. These of course are the references as I cut and pasted direct from the book.

Another thoughtI Alwyn phillip's book gives the a/c as shot down by a 109. This is very unlikely beacause the Wilde Sau ops did not begin until Nachtjagd Versuchs Kommando of Hajo Herrmann only started in May and June 43.

Peter

Eddie Fell Guest

Thanks folks - just seeking confirmation

Peter - I've sent you an e mail

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Default HR758 more evidence

Eddy et al

I just thought last night that I have copy of a document sent to NJG4 re the claims of German nightfighters on 16/17th April 43. This shows clearly that both Wohlers and Freidrich got only only abchuse (kill) each that night. Wohlers' was probably the Stirling as stated, Friedrich (not even listed in Parry Forman et al, was HR758

Peter