S/Ldr (Pilot) Wilfred B. BEALE - 90240;
    F/Sgt (WOp/Ag) John E. BIGNELL - 616568;
    P/O (Pilot) George H. BROWN - 101015;
    F/Sgt (Ag) Frank E. GREANEY - 552594;
    F/O (Pilot) Donald M. LAKE - 42234;
    F/Lt John K. RODGER - 42650, and
    Sgt (Pilot) Robert C. 1263048.

Also looking for unit and possible cause of death of:
    P/O Cherala Raghava RAO - RIAF - died of wounds - commemorated Panel 64 of the Runnymede Memorial.

Proposed aircraft losses for this day:

Beaufighter II.F - R2335 - FIU - dived into ground Woodgate, 4 miles W of Ford, Sussex.
    Hector I - K9719 - 2 AACU - overshot landing Roborough, Devon.
    Hurricane I - V6862 - 59 OTU - abandoned 1 mile N of Penrith, Cumberland.
    Master III - W8472 - CFS - dived into ground near Alton Barnes.
    Oxford II - P1079 - RAFC - crashed in forced landing near Grantham, Lincolnshire.
    Master II - AZ258 - 8 FTS - damaged byond repair in accident; SOC 29-9-1941.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

The only fatal accident I have information about on this date was from No.58 OTU and the pilot is not one of the people you are after information for.

September 4th 1941, “The death of 1168117 Sgt D.C. Johnston in a flying accident occurred today. Sgt Johnston was flying over Callander in Spitfire R6780 and incorrectly performed a right hand roll and crashed into the ground.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Lake and Bignall were in the Beaufighter, according to The Men of the Battle of Britain

A

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Beale,43, Brown,30, are registered at Devizes,Wiltshire, which is the right area for Alton Barnes(?Master W8472)
    Bignell,23, Greaney, 20, and Lake,20, are registered at Chichester, W Sussex, which is the right area for Beaufighter R2335 but as far as I know the a/c could only carry 2 people.
    Baker 26, is registered at St Austell, Cornwall,
    Rodger,23, is registered at Barnstaple,N Devon. The Hector at Roborough is S Devon and too far away
    The nearest I can get for your Robert C is a Robert C Vernon,26, registered at N Kesteven, Lincolnshire in the 4th Qtr of 1941. It would work for the accident nr Grantham if he survived but died of injuries away from the crash site, and was the subject of perhaps a Coroner's Inquest which could delay the registration.Grantham would report to Grantham and W Kesteven district which is adjacent to where he is registered
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 9th December 2008 at 18:35.

Thanks

Seems one of the Beaufighter's engine has been recovered and restored. And the aircraft had three on board - Lake, Greaney and Bignell:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/pwgrieve/photoalbum1.html

As re: Rao, I believe it is still unknown which unit he was. There were a couple of threads on the old rafcommands asking for details but specific ones were not forthcoming

A
    Last edited by Amrit; 9th December 2008 at 18:30. Reason: typo

Thanks

AC1 Selwyn R. BAKER - DOAS, Age 26 St. Austell district
    S/Ldr (Pilot) Wilfred B. BEALE - KOAS ; Age 43 Divizes District
    F/Sgt (WOp/Ag) John E. BIGNELL - KOAS; Age 23 Chichester district
    P/O (Pilot) George H. BROWN - KOAS; Age 30 Divizes District, see Beale above
    F/Sgt (Ag) Frank E. GREANEY - KOAS; Age 20 Chichester District
    F/O (Pilot) Donald M. LAKE - KOAS; Age 20 Chichester
    F/Lt John K. RODGER - DOAS, Age 23 Barnstable
    Sgt (Pilot) Robert C. VERNON KOAS. In the Q4 register a 26 year old Robert C Vernon is registered in the N. Kesteven district.

regards

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 12th December 2008 at 11:17. Reason: corected one district - Found Brown KOAS in Flight
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks friends for this worthwhile info, "an excellent harvest" for a Wednesday-morning; will amend my files.
    Al: I had Spitfire R6780 (D.C. JOHNSTON) on file with a more precise crash location the parking lot at the rear of the Bridge End House Hotel at Callander, Perthshire.
    Dick: I was aware of it that a Beaufighter could fit a third airman; I've one or two losses on file where a Beaufighter on a transit flight (sqn move) carried a technician as a passenger.
    Stupid that I neglected to mention VERNON's name; yes I was looking for Sgt Robert C. VERNON - 1263048. For the time being will add a note that he probably could have been on Oxford P1079.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

just curious on my part, in the case of Vernon, what else will you do to confirm what happened him? Might you request the Form 1180 for Oxford P1079?

I was just wondering what further steps you take to account for the unaccounted beyond what we can tell you? If there was anything else we could do.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Also looking for unit and possible cause of death of:
    P/O Cherala Raghava RAO - RIAF - died of wounds - commemorated Panel 64 of the Runnymede Memorial.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/History/1940s/OE-Runnymede.html

He is probably on Runnymede due to his faith (i.e. being cremated) if he died of wounds is he on the Death Register for a location??? If so may give an idea of cause

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul

I doubt that he would be on Runnymede if he was cremated. In all other instances where someone is cremated, the CWGC lists the name of the Crematorium, and in the case of Indians this was often Golders Green.

But I am rather intrigued by the fact that he is listed as died of wounds AND on Runnymede.

A