Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airmen - 6-9-1941

What were the places of death registration for:

LAC (Pilot u/t) Leslie E. EALES - 655218;
    A1 George S. NORMAN - 1263214, and
    AC2 David E.S. RICHARDS - 1153338.

Also looking for unit and possible cause of death of
    AC1 Thomas E. BRETT - 1123272, whose name is commemorated on Panel 290 of the Runnymede Memorial.
    It could be that the burial location was unknown to the CWGC at the set-up of their graves registration, or the grave lost.

Proposed aircraft losses for this day:

Tiger Moth II - T7224 - 7 EFTS - flew into ground Wiston Park, Leicester.
    Master II - AZ377 - 8 FTS - collided with Master AZ264 Lauriston Mains, Kincardineshire (for AZ377 already as a casualty: LAC [Pilot u/t] Walter HOUSLEY - 1005762).
    I've killed on AZ264: F/O (Pilot/Instr.) H.K. SMITH - 88714 (death registered Cirencester) and Sgt L.N. BROWN - RCAF R/98142.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Here is the ORB entry for the 8 FTS accident, Smith had nothing to do with this crash, his death is registered a good 400 miles away, I have looked it up as 347.

September 6th 1941, “F/Lt Stewart, 39832 (Instructor), 1005760 LAC (Cadet) Housley, W. and P/O Becko, P0239 (pupils) killed in aircraft accident whilst carrying out formation practice near Lauriston. Master AZ377 piloted by P/O Becko collided with Master AZ264 piloted by F/Lt Stewart with LAC Housley as second pilot. Accident investigated by W/Cdr Simpson on 13th September 1941.”

I don't have anything else from ORBs.
    Last edited by alclark; 10th December 2008 at 17:31.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

leslie E Eales - KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE (WHILE ENGAGED ON NON-OPERATIONAL FLYING DUTIES OR ON THE GROUND THROUGH ENEMY ACTION). Age 27 Grantham district

George S Norman - DOAS, Age 27 E. Ealo district

David E S Richards - Can't see him just now in Flight, Age 20 in Pembroke District
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

T E Brett is in Flight as DOAS, Not in the Q3 register for UKW

but

there is a 28 year old Thomas ? Brett in the Ely district for Q4, I use the question mark becuase the middle initial Might be an E?? The letter in the scan is a blur but the right side of the letter does not appear to be as straight as the left.

Perhaps some one else can give an opinion. Ancestry.com have interpreted the letter as H.
    Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Henk
    For Norman, East Elloe is in Lincolnshire.
    I might have found Thomas E Brett, 28, at Ely in the 4th Qtr of 1941.CWGC have no age and on the Register the middle initial is very difficult to read.As the name is the final one on that particular page the Ancestry Search engine picks it up and has it as an H. I find it difficult to believe H but the print quality is very poor for that letter. If it is the right man don't forget that Ely had an RAF Hospital and he could have died there, but it still doesn't explain why there is no grave, and the registration is in the next Qtr to that of his death.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Brett is not listed on the RAF Overseas War Deaths 1939-1948. He is listed in Bill Chorleys Bomber Command Roll of Honour unit WYTON !

Mark

Thanks

Default Correction Master AZ264

Please friends ignore my info (msg #1 of this thread) on F/O H.K. SMITH (88714) and Sgt L.N. BROWN (R/98142) as being the crew of Master AZ264. This is completely incorrect. Both airmen were killed 7-4-1942 on Master AZ315.

For Al: Source KU CZCI Poleglych Lotnikow 1939-1945 (a very reliable source and one of the authors Wojtek Matusiak) has P/O BECKO on Master AZ264. This means that F/Lt STEWART (39832) and LAC HOUSLEY (1005762) were on Master AZ377.

Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default F/Lt Stewart

Alclark
    F/Lt Stewart was married, very briefly 28th June 1941, to one of my mother's sisters. I got a helpful letter from a lady at the Air Historical Branch MoD but just with detail of his death. Your post has therefore given me a great deal more information, for which I thank you. I see that you refer to the accident investigation. Is there any possibility that this report might be available at Kew?
    Regards
    ean

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    Here is the ORB entry for the 8 FTS accident, Smith had nothing to do with this crash, his death is registered a good 400 miles away, I have looked it up as 347.

September 6th 1941, F/Lt Stewart, 39832 (Instructor), 1005760 LAC (Cadet) Housley, W. and P/O Becko, P0239 (pupils) killed in aircraft accident whilst carrying out formation practice near Lauriston. Master AZ377 piloted by P/O Becko collided with Master AZ264 piloted by F/Lt Stewart with LAC Housley as second pilot. Accident investigated by W/Cdr Simpson on 13th September 1941.

I don't have anything else from ORBs.

Thanks

Wing Command Simpson was one of the officers who regularly chaired Courts of Enquiry, those records were on the whole retained by the MoD rather than transferrred to the National Archives, a few examples slipped through and found their way into other documents.

It would seem that the MoD had the originals destroyed in the 1990s (or at least that is what they said to the tribunal that rules on appeals relating to the FoI Act) when they reached 50 years and were not felt to be historical documents worthy of transfer to the NA.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

I was concerned that posting this next batch of answers from the F1180s would have put Henk under too much pressure to update after his request to remove his user name.

I now post them to contine his legacy on RAF Commands.

Eales confirmed by F1180 as sole fatality on Oxford P1937

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.