Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 410906 - Unaccounted airmen - 6-9-1941

Thanks

Default F/Lt Stewart

Alclark
    F/Lt Stewart was married, very briefly 28th June 1941, to one of my mother's sisters. I got a helpful letter from a lady at the Air Historical Branch MoD but just with detail of his death. Your post has therefore given me a great deal more information, for which I thank you. I see that you refer to the accident investigation. Is there any possibility that this report might be available at Kew?
    Regards
    ean

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    Here is the ORB entry for the 8 FTS accident, Smith had nothing to do with this crash, his death is registered a good 400 miles away, I have looked it up as 347.

September 6th 1941, F/Lt Stewart, 39832 (Instructor), 1005760 LAC (Cadet) Housley, W. and P/O Becko, P0239 (pupils) killed in aircraft accident whilst carrying out formation practice near Lauriston. Master AZ377 piloted by P/O Becko collided with Master AZ264 piloted by F/Lt Stewart with LAC Housley as second pilot. Accident investigated by W/Cdr Simpson on 13th September 1941.

I don't have anything else from ORBs.

Thanks

Wing Command Simpson was one of the officers who regularly chaired Courts of Enquiry, those records were on the whole retained by the MoD rather than transferrred to the National Archives, a few examples slipped through and found their way into other documents.

It would seem that the MoD had the originals destroyed in the 1990s (or at least that is what they said to the tribunal that rules on appeals relating to the FoI Act) when they reached 50 years and were not felt to be historical documents worthy of transfer to the NA.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

I was concerned that posting this next batch of answers from the F1180s would have put Henk under too much pressure to update after his request to remove his user name.

I now post them to contine his legacy on RAF Commands.

Eales confirmed by F1180 as sole fatality on Oxford P1937

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

AC1 Thomas Edwin BRETT - 1123272 - probate listing confirmed he died at RAF Hospital Ely.

Martyn

Thanks

Hello

AC1 George S. NORMAN - 1263214 - the Boston Guardian of September 24th 1941 reported the following:

Sentry Challenge Ignored
    How a young aircraftman, George Sylvester Norman, was fatally shot by a sentry whose challenge he ignored was described at an inquest at Sutton Bridge, on Wednesday, when the Coroner, Mr. C. M. Bowser, said that the sentry fired in according with his orders and in the execution of his duties and returned a verdict of "Justifiable homicide."
    Private James, the sentry who fired the shot, said that when he was on sentry duty a motor cycle came up. He challenged but the motor cyclist failed to stop and witness fired. He had not time to challenge again because of the speed of the motor cycle. When he fired he had aimed at the motor cycle in accordance with his orders. As he went to deceased's assistance, deceased said "You hit me in the back." There was a red lamp in the road at the post, and deceased should have pulled up. It was not until he went to deceased's assistance that he saw he was wearing R.A.F. uniform.
    The other sentry on duty, Private Stanley Thomas and Corp. Townley, the guard commander, corroborated. Pilot Officer Conway and Corp. Jack Laidlaw, R.A.F., each spoke of hearing James give the challenge and then
    fire.

Regards

Simon