Thread: Gardening op Kattegat 15/16 May 1944

Thanks

Default Gardening op Kattegat 15/16 May 1944

Dear all,

I am looking for any details about battle damage inflicted to one or more of 12 Lancasters that were dispatched to lay mines in the Kattegat, off the danish coast, on 15-16 May 1944. The reason for asking is that a German night fighter pilot claimed to have shot down a Lancaster over the sea to the S. of Ystad, Sweden, a claim that I cannot tie to any of the three Lancasters that were lost on the Gardening effort (to Kiel and the Kattegat) for this particular night (these three losses have all been positively tied to three other NJ claims, as I have detailed in my new book The Nachtjagd War Diaries). Details of the 'mystery' claim are as follows:

Uffz. Heinz Koppe: 6 10./NJG3 Lancaster sea 50 km. S. Ystad (QH 8-8): 5.200 m. 00.50

Any details very welcome!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Default Mining May 15/16,1944

Theo. 6 Group sent 12 Hali's mining in the Kattegat also on this night. There were no losses or attacks.

Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your reply -one correction in my original post: the 12 heavies that were sent out to may their mines in the Kattegat were, in fact, the 12 Halifaxes that you mention. Your reply makes it clear that, in all probability, Koppe did not engage any of the Kattegat gardeners.. It may be that he engaged an SOE flight in this area, but no SOE sorties were lost in this area and I have no info on SOE flights that were attacked but managed to return to the UK on this night. Maybe someone could fill in this SOE query for me?

Cheers, Theo