LAC (Obs u/t) Thomas A. DIXON - 1119294;
    LAC (Obs) Frederick C. GLOCKLER - 1376289;
    Sgt Frank HARKER - 515732;
    LAC (Pilot) Reginald HOWARD - 1101868;
    LAC Clifford A. JOHNSON - 989623 - 114 Sqn (West Raynham, Norfolk);
    LAC (Pilot) Peter H.A. PICKERING - 1218857, and
    AC2 William F. WATTIS - 1039244.

Proposed aircraft losses for this day:

Hurricane I - P2558 - 9 FTS - abandoned Leigherton, Leicestershire.
    Master I - N7935 - 5 FTS - flew into ground 1 mile E of Gnossall, Staffordshire.
    Master I - N8367 - 9 FTS - overshot landing at night Calcot Farm, Tetbury, Gloucestershire.
    Master I - T8379 - 9 FTS - crashed; no further details.
    Tiger Moth II - T5829 - 19 EFTS - crashed on approach Northrop, Flintshire.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Bloor,38, registered at Stafford.His family came from Stafford and his wife lived there so he may have been at home when he died.From his age and his unit I doubt that he would have been involved in a Flying Accident. From CWGC he seems to have been a 1st War Veteran
    Pickering,18, is also registered at Stafford and this is the right area for Gnosal(Master N7935).
    Dicker,25,registered at Epping, Essex
    Howard,30,registered at Cirencester, Gloucestershire, the right area for Tetbury
    Johnson,21, registered at Liverpool S
    I found a William H Wattis,32, registered at Newcastle under Lyme ,Staffordshire, the middle initial different from CWGC
    I couldn't find Dixon or Glockler so both may be outside England and Wales
    I could only find 1 Frank Harker,registered in Sheffield ,Yorkshire but his age was 41 and the Harker on CWGC was 27 so I don't think the Sheffield registration is what you are looking for
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 2nd December 2008 at 17:59.

Thanks

F/Lt Brian C. BLOOR - 76255 - Found DOAS scanned as Act Fit. Lt. B. C. Biuor;
    LAC Harold G. DICKER - KOAS
    LAC (Obs u/t) Thomas A. DIXON - KOAS He is registered in Q4 in Anglesey W District

LAC (Obs) Frederick C. GLOCKLER - He is registered in Q4 in Anglesey W District. Missing believed KOAS [While engaged on non operational flying duties or through enemy action on the ground] The missing here would probably explain the late registration.

Sgt Frank HARKER - DOAS
    LAC (Pilot) Reginald HOWARD - KOAS
    LAC Clifford A. JOHNSON - DOAS
    LAC (Pilot) Peter H.A. PICKERING - KOAS
    AC2 William F. WATTIS - DOAS, he is W F in flight also.

Note that there is a FRANCIS Harker age 28 registered Q3 in Alyesbury district, wrong name and age but might a typo. There is No Harker fitting the bill in Soctland I think, I have no credits though.

cheers Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 18th November 2009 at 22:30. Reason: Added Harker info, Dec 08;; Added Bloor Nov 09
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

The No.19 EFTS was non-fatal, here is the entry from the ORB “Accident to Tiger Moth No.T5829, Pilot Officer Edwards unhurt.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks friends for all your help; will amend my files. Again some names to be deleted from the long list of airmen 'unaccounted for'.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default Bloor

Henk,

A/F/Lt. B.C. Bloor DOAS, Times 24 September 1941.

Thanks

Hi Henk, Pickering was the solo pilot on N7935.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default Unaccounted Airmen 28-8-41

Hello Henk
    I think there is an error with Hurricane P2558.
    I beleive it was with 9FTS and was abandond near Leigherton,GLOUCESTERSHIRE, which was a RLG.
    There is no Leigherton in my home county of Leicestershire.
    Regards and keep up the good work.
    Roy

Thanks

Thanks Ken, Tom and Roy.
    Roy: Gloucestershire for P2558 correct; I quoted incorrectly from Air Britain's Aeromilitaria list "Crashes in UK - WW2".
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

A visit to Kew has given the answer to two of the deaths on the list. The following is the entry from the RAF Valley station ORB for the 28th August.

August 28th 1941, “Botha Disaster, 28/8/41.
    About 11.00 hours on the morning of the 28th August, 1941 a Botha aircraft No.L6417 from No.4 Air Observers’ School, West Freugh, crashed into the sea, about 1,200 yards from the Coast at Rhosneigr Grid Reference 1” O.S. Map, Sheet 41, VH 7695. The weather was very stormy, with wind gusting to 50 – 60 m.p.h., and a tremendous sea running. The sea was too heavy for any of the numerous rescue launches and lifeboats to attempt a rescue of the crew, but repeated individual attempts to effect rescues were made by a large number of both service and civilian personnel who had gathered on the beach. Many individual acts of heroism were performed, but unfortunately the three members of the crew of the Botha were all drowned.

These were:- Sgt Rosiewicz, K.S., No.782028 (Polish) L.A.C. Dixon T.A. No.1119294, L.A.C. Glockler F.C. No.1376289.

In addition, no less than eleven others lost their lives in rescue attempts, as follows:-

L.A.C. Bannister D.W. No.819139
    L.A.C. Ford L.A. No.845761
    2nd Lieut P.T. Whysall, No.145327
    Gunner S. Willkins, No.1832511
    Gunner C.H. Thornton, No.1332450
    Gunner R.K. Simons, No.1832431
    Gunner R. Eaton, No.1832747
    Sgt Major, Moger A.W. No.1832450
    Mr C.G. Evan Jones, Coastguard
    Mr A.H. Owen
    P.C.14, George Arthur

L.A.C. Bannister and L.A.C. Ford were from No.615 Squadron, RAF Valley, attached for duty in the Aerodrome Control Section. The six army casualties were all from the 226th L.A.A. Trg Regt, Stationed at Rhosneigr.

From many individual examples of bravery and courage, the following have been specially singled out for their gallant effects at rescue:-
    Sgt J.J. Plunkett, No.456 Squadron R.A.A.F. (Australian)
    Derek Hubert Baynham, “Woodside”, Burwood Park Road, Walton-on-Thames
    James Leslie Stuart Wood, 20, Glan Aber Park, Chester.
    These have been recommended for Awards (immediate) and the following brief extracts from their individual recommendations tell the story of their services:-

Sergeant Plunkett
    “…. Sergeant Plunkett, seeing several people struggling in the water swam out and was instrumental in bringing ashore one of the crew of the aircraft who was unconscious and later died. He again swam out and brought three other people to shore, thus saving their lives. His skill, courage and determination were of the very highest order, and in view of the very heavy sea which was running, and the strong wind prevailing, he showed complete disregard of his own safety”.

Derek Hubert Beynham )
    John Leslie Stuart Wood ) “….The above named put off in a small rowing boat in a very heavy sea and strong wind. Just before reaching the aeroplane the boat was swamped. With great difficulty and with the aid of any [an] oar they got one airman (Sgt Rosiewicz) and between them endeavoured to get him to land. The airman where within about 100 yards from the shore, was lost, and the above named civilians with assistance managed to scramble to land.

Although their efforts were unsuccessful in saving the life of the airman, the great courage an determination they displayed is deserving of the highest praise. The plucky effort of these two boys was witnessed by many responsible people from the shore, all of whom speak in the very highest terms of their gallant effort”.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/