Thread: Finding a Squadron ? Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Default Finding a Squadron ? Can anyone help ?

Good evening all.

I have been pointed at this forum by some chums at the British Medal Forum. I am very much out of my depth with researching this man, as my main area of expertise is the infantry... hence my posting here.

I am trying to trace the Squadron(s) of one Flight Lieutenant Henry Nathan Walters (121955) What I have been able to find out :

He was granted a commission for the emergency as Pilot Officer on probation in the General Duties (Navigator) Branch of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (ex- Flight Sergeant) 1st May 1942

Flying Officer (war substantive) 1st November 1942
    Flight Lieutenant (war substantive) 1st May 1944
    Released from whole time service 3rd August 1945
    Granted a Commission as Acting Pilot Officer in the Training Branch, RAFVR 5th September 1945
    Pilot Officer 1st July 1946
    Resigned Commission 15th October 1948
    Emergency Commission relinquished, retains the rank of Flight Lieutenant 10th February 1954.

His medal entitlement is the 1939-45 Star, Aircrew Europe Star, Defence Medal, War Medal & Air Efficiency Medal (awarded under Air Ministry Order N460 on 5/6/47)

This might be a red herring, but I vaguely recall being told many many moons ago that he was a Navigator on Wellingtons - but I have no way of substantiating that statement.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Regards

Richard

Thanks

I'm guessing this is not as easy at it might seem ?

As my only lead to date is the Wellington connection, can anyone advise how many squadrons were flying Wellington's in WWII ? I suppose it will be quite a few.

Many thanks

Richard

Thanks

Hi all,

I am also afraid it is quite impossible to find the squadron with only this info. With use of the Source Book of the RAF I counted at least 79 Squadrons equppied with Wellingtons...

From provided medal info we can only exclude units outside UK but still there will be several tens of units...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz