Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shropshire's casualties and aircraft crashes

Default Sgt Pierre Gallay KIA with 341 Squadron

Hi, I googled the name of Sgt Pierre Gallay searching for additional info for my research.
    Came accros this topic and see his name.
    I have info and photo's regarding crash.
    For info please send me a pm thorne83.

Peter.
    Last edited by peter van der linden; 9th July 2009 at 18:12.

I may be able to help with Australians buried at Tilstock. PM me if interested.

Regards,

Kevin Mears

I wonder if you can help me, my grandfather worked at RAF Shawbury during WW2 for the maintinance unit he and a fellow worker were awarded the BEM for saving 2 pilots in an accident at Shawbury during 1944, (not sure of the excact date) all i know it was reported in the Shrewsbury Chronical on November 24th 1944 that my grandfather and Alexander Trew where to recive the BEM.

The reason i ask is my daughter is working on a WW2 school project and would like to do a project on her great grandfather and the only information i have is some a copy of the newspaper report and several letters about the medal award, i have no one else to ask as both my father and uncle have passed away.

If you can help in anyway with any information on the accident and the men involved my daughter would be very grateful.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36781/supplements/5081

7th November, 1944
    Awarded the British Empire Medal (Civil Division):

George Frederick Bull, Motor Transport Driver, Royal Air Force Maintenance Unit.

Alexander Wesley Trew, Fitter, Royal Air Force Maintenance Unit.

When an aircraft was taking off it crashed into a stationary aircraft and a motor tractor. The two aircraft and the tractor burst into flames.

Trew tried to release an injured man who was pinned beneath the wrecked tractor but was unable to do so unaided. He was then joined by Bull ajid together they made a second attempt. This, too, was unsuccessful. Other helpers approached the wreckage but a petrol tank exploded and the heat became so intense that they had to give up the attempt. Trew and Bull, however, stood their" ground and eventually the man was released. A second injured man was seen struggling to get out of the burning cockpit of the stationary aircraft. Trew tried at once to reach him but was forced back by the flames. The man then fell through the burning floor of the cockpit and Trew and Bull, without thought for their own safety, went through the flames and carried him to safety. Both men showed great bravery in going to the rescue of their fellow workers.
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks for the link, that will come in handy.

Has anybody else got anymore info on the two pilots that they saved or the type of aircraft involved in the crash.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Drunk, i've just seen your message on my post so perhaps you would like to email me at tomthorne83ATyahooDOTcoDOTuk (Replacing AT's and DOT's as appropriate). I have a large amount of information on the crash including the names of the crew and civilian personnel involved (and a photo of Wes Trew).

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Tom

Hello Tom,

Given that Drunk and Amrit have already supplied some information on the BEM awards. Could you confirm that the following is the same incident?

The moving of the (P)AFU had greatly reduced the number of aircraft movements at Shawbury but the numbers were still very high compared to today. On July 17th 1944 a Wellington XIII (NF127) belonging to CNS collided with a stationary Mosquito (PZ233) from No.27 MU. The Wellington was about to become airborne when it hit the Mosquito which was being compass swung. Both aircraft were completely burnt out. The crash killed Sgt G. A. Goodfellow and a civilian of No.27 MU, A.U.Bancroft, but the Wellington pilot escaped injury.

See:
    A History of Royal Air Force Shawbury.
    Ferguson,Aldon P.
    Liverpool:M.A.S. Pub.,1977.
    p.23.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th November 2009 at 11:28. Reason: minor correction

Hi Col, indeed we are talking about the same accident. Couple of alterations to Ferguson's publication though; Sgt T T A Goodfellow and Mr A V Bancroft killed. Five other Wellington crew escaped, but three were badly burned. Two other civilian's on the Mosquito also survived, although one was badly burned.

As well as the BEM awards, Mr Fred Humphreys was commended for bravery and his name appears in the LG on the same page as Trew and Bull.

Let me know if you're ready for the next instalment on RAAF pilots!

Cheers, Tom

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the confirmation on the Shawbury incident.

I had noted the details for Goodfellow and Bancroft on the CWGC. For Bancroft, the CWGC states that he was injured at RAF Shawbury, on 12-7-1944. Goodfellow's date of death is recorded as 3-8-1944.
    My other problem was; Dave Smith, in his 'Mosquito Crash Log' (p.16), records the incident involving Mosquito PZ233 (of 27 MU), as occurring at Shawbury on 10-7-1944! Dave also identifies the Wellington as, HF127, not NF127, as mentioned by Ferguson.

A lot of inconsistencies on this one, that's why I asked for confirmation.

May I ask what date you have for this incident?

I will be in touch privately, regarding other matters.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th November 2009 at 21:22. Reason: minor correction

Hi Col,

i totally missed the date on your posting! Should be 12th July and according to the ORB it was Wellington NF127. Goodfellow died in RAF Cosford Hospital from 1st and 2nd degree burns a few days later as you have from CWGC. Mr Bancroft died on the same day having also been taken to the burns centre at RAF Cosford Hospital.

Cheers, Tom