Thread: Slovakian Pilot Otto Smik DFC 9N B or 9N R ?

Thanks

Default Slovakian Pilot Otto Smik DFC 9N B or 9N R ?

On 28 November 1944 Otto Smik DFC was hit by Flak while attacking a rail target near Zwolle in Spitfire XVI RR227. His plane crashed and he was killed.
    I have conflicting reports as to the code of his aircraft.
    I am led to believe the book 'Zij Vielen Rondom Zwolle' (They fell around Zwolle), written by J.L. Schotman states the code was 9N B, however, according to the book 'Spitfire nad Evropou' about Otto Smik by Jiří Rajlich published in the Czech Republic in 2004, RR227 should be 9N-R.
    I don't have either publication so cannot verify if this is correct or the source of the information used by both authors.
    So which was it B or R?
    I also have have been led to believe that W/O Reg Eckert RAAF was fling SM253 Coded 9N R.
    I am waiting for a copy of his log book to verify this.
    Regards
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy Ingham; 17th December 2007 at 18:19. Reason: Additional Information

Thanks

Hi Andy,

according to Rajlich's book he was flying RR227 9N-R.
    On this date were shot down 2 Spits from 127 Sq - RR227 and RR229 piloted by S/L Smik and F/O H. Taymans. RR227 crashed on the field and pilot was wrongly identified - although unmatched to his description - as F/O H. Taymans (from Belgium) and was burried as Taymans in Brusel. RR229 crashed into the marshy channel and was lifted in 1965 - when was found that in RR229 was not body of Smik but Taymans!

Hope this little info helps

Pavel

Thanks

Thanks for confirming what is in the book by Rajlich.
    Do you know if Smik's Log Book was available to Rajlich when he wrote the book?
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

No problem Andy.
    No his log book is not mentioned in used sources - for the list of his sorties he used Squadron ORBs, some books and Log Books of some other Czechoslovak pilots who were serving with Smik at the same squadrons at the same time.

Pavel