Thread: 29 OTU losses June - October 44

Thanks

Default 29 OTU losses June - October 44

To aid my research and website, which I'm restructuring ( www.galgos.co.uk ), would anybody with a copy of Chorley's OTU losses have a quick look and see if there were any training losses on their Wellingtons between June 15th and September 26th 1944?
    Thanks in anticipation
    Max Williams

Thanks

Between these two dates there are only three recorded accidents in BCL Vol.7 and a further two within a couple of days either side.

14-Jun-44, Wellington Mk.X, LN860, Ground, Destroyed by fire, No crew.
    14-Jun-44, Wellington Mk.X, MS480, Ground, Destroyed by fire, No crew.
    26-Jun-44, Wellington Mk.X, MF528, 4 Miles N of Thorney, Notts / Lincs, Abandoned, All safe, pilot's name only.
    11-Jul-44, Wellington Mk.III, X3306, Bitteswell, Crashed on landing, All safe, pilot's name only.
    08-Sep-44, Wellington Mk.III, BK552, Maesbury Rd, Oswestry, Dived into the ground, 7 Killed.
    28-Sep-44, Wellington Mk.X, LP342, Branton, Yorks, Structural failure in dive, 6 Killed.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks Al for your prompt reply, that's excellent.
    Regards
    Max

fiskerton Guest

Default 29 otu losses june-october 44

hi all
    my uncle crewed up with 28 OTU at wymswold in aug 44
    I believe 29 OTU was part of the same training base structure
    i thought you may be interested in a crash of a wellington at wymswold
    on 13 aug 44 wellington X LN 987
    les was boarding his wellington an a training flight that day when the wellington came down on the main runway
    les gave me a pair of scissers from the first aid kit of this wellington
    the scissers are marked 1943

also his lanc NG 273 was probebly built and tested at the armstrong whitworth assembly factories at bitterswell
    i as an HGV driver go to this former airfield many times
    its now known as Magna Park owned by the property arm of Asda Supermarkets
    regards
    dave

Thanks

Thanks for the extra info Dave. I've done a bit more digging this evening especially into the crash of Wellington BK552. The W/Op was Thomas Donovan Potter, an Aussie, and as luck would have it, his A705 Casualty Report is digitised. The Board of Enquiry lays the blame pretty much on the pilot, a South African, who ignored the Met. briefing that icing conditions were likely to be encountered on a cross-country exercise and that if necessary the crew should retrun to Base. It appears one engine failed because of icing, the pilot lost control and the Wellington dived into the ground killing all 7 on board, which included an extra navigator.
    The report makes the point that in the previous 12 months, 3 such crashes had taken place from aircraft based at Bruntingthorpe and that all the pilots were either Rhodesians or South Africans!
    Regards
    Max