Thread: Researching Wellington WB5659, 221 Squadron

Thanks

Default Researching Wellington WB5659, 221 Squadron

I am presently researching the loss of the above aircraft on 22/06/41, whilst providing air cover for Convoy OB 337. Unfortunately its the all-too-familiar story of nothing being heard from the aircraft after take-off at 1111 hours that day, and searches throughout the next day finding nothing.

One possibility suggested by the Squadron history is that it was shot down by a Condor. If this were the case, i am thinking perhaps an aircraft from KG40?

Does anyone know of a database of claims made by KG40 (or any other likely Luftwaffe unit) that I could check?

The crew of WB5659 were:
    P/O Johnson
    Sgt Willis
    Sgt 745208 Kenneth William Morgan (the man I'm researching)
    Sgt Cass
    Sgt Marshall
    Sgt Smith

Any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob.

Thanks

Hi Bob
    I only have Ross McNeill's Coastal Command Losses that confirms the details that you already have but I would point out that you have inserted an extra letter (B) into the a/c serial which might make a difference if anyone has any other information to compare, particularly if it is stored electronically where the extra letter might reject it from a search.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Ah! Thanks, Dick.

I've just checked my sources and I've no idea where that extra 'B' came from. (Dyslexic fingers??)