Thread: FAA pilot Hamminga

Thanks

Default FAA pilot Hamminga

From a question received at my web page: can anyone provide information on a Dutch national serving as a pilot with the FAA in 1945/1946, last name of Hamminga. It is possible that he served with an RCN squadron shortly after the war, any info would be appreciated.

By the way, is there an FAA Forum of a similar quality to this one?

Thanks

Bill,

The Last Post section of the www.legionmagazine.com website mentions F/Sgt William Hamminga who died in 1993, Qualicum Beach, BC.

Can't say if he's your man however, for the entry says he was with RAFVR, service number 1814910.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Thanks very much Leendert. This looks like a good match.

I know it has been posted here several times before, but can someone give me a quick summary of who to contact in the UK to get service records for this gentleman?

Thanks

Default Hamminga

Bill Hamminga was a Dutch national who fled to Sweden during the war as a seaman. He reached the United Kingdom sometime in 1942 and joined the Royal Netherlands Navy. He was trained as a pilot in the BCATP (he spent most of 1943 in Canada) and after receiving his wings he joined the FAA (several Dutch fighter pilots flew in the FAA). As far as I know he didn't finish his training before the war in Europe was over. He did emigrate to Canada after the war and also died in this country. I have contact with a relative of Hamminga. If the person of the forum likes to know more details please let him (or her) contact me on: pe.v.loo@mindef.nl

Best regards,

Erwin van Loo
    NIMH

Thanks

Thanks Erwin. I passed your message on to the person who had contacted me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
    From a question received at my web page: can anyone provide information on a Dutch national serving as a pilot with the FAA in 1945/1946, last name of Hamminga. It is possible that he served with an RCN squadron shortly after the war, any info would be appreciated.

By the way, is there an FAA Forum of a similar quality to this one?
    This is my father, William (Willem) Hamminga. As discussed by others he died in 93. I have a website created by my brother you may want to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyoMa70i7tg

Thanks

Default Bill Hamminga

This is my father, William (Willem) Hamminga. As discussed by others he died in 93. I have a website created by my brother you may want to see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyoMa70i7tg