Thread: Wing Cdr. William George Attewell, MBE, RCAF and Son

Thanks

Default Wing Cdr. William George Attewell, MBE, RCAF and Son

In looking up details on one of my boys of Malvern High, Sgt. Arthur Ernest Attewell C/87994, I find that his father was a Wingco from Toronto, born in Swindon, Wiltshire. Does anyone have any information on him or can you point me to sources (other than Ottawa, which I will get to)?

His son Arthur was lost on 29 July 1944 while flying with 428 Sqn over Hamburg.
    David

Thanks

As the Wingco was at some time made a 'Member of the British Empire', I wondered if the award could have been published in the London Gazette? and also the "Flight Global" archives may reveal some clues?

Norman

Thanks

The online search of the Gazette didn't turn up anything yet. I'm sure Flight will mention it but I don't know when it happened to help narrow the search. I was also hoping someone could tell me something about his career. I found out from an old online post from his granddaughter that he never returned to Canada after the war.
    David

Thanks

Default W.G. Attewell, MBE

Could this be your man ?

ATTEWELL, W/C William Gordon (C8185) - Member, Order of the British Empire - RCAF Overseas Headquarters - Award effective 14 June 1945 as per Canada Gazette of that date and AFRO 1127/45 dated 6 July 1945. Born in Bath, England, 10 January 1899 (see CEF attestation papers). Emigrated to Canada in January 1914. Joined the Canadian Militia and then the CEF, going overseas early in 1916. Severely wounded at Corcellette (September 1916), repatriated to Canada and discharged in August 1918. Joined staff of Canadian Air Board in 1922 as an air mechanic (Camp Borden). Enlisted there in Permanent RCAF, 1 April 1924. Thereafter saw much service around the Ottawa area, and in 1934 was sent to Winnipeg. Attained WO1 rank late in 1939, sent to England with RCAF in January 1940 with special responsibilities for No.110 Squadron's equipment. He also was involved in shipments of BCATP equipment from the UK to Canada. Commissioned in 1940. Promoted Flight Lieutenant, 7 May 1942. Promoted Squadron Leader, 15 September 1942. Promoted Wing Commander, 1 November 1943. Released 19 March 1947. Photograph PL-7634 shows him working at his desk in RCAF Overseas Headquarters; PL-15700 shows him greeting Squadron Officer K. Walker at railway station; PL-19432 presenting RCAF ensign to mayor of Holborn.

"This officer has served in various capacities at Royal Canadian Air Force Headquarters, Overseas, for approximately five years. He has performed the many duties assigned to him with outstanding ability and devotion to duty. As officer commanding the administration unit of this headquarters for nearly three years, his capable leadership and direction have been reflected in the smooth and efficient operation of his unit. His drive and persistent efforts have been an inspiration to the personnel under his command and his devotion to duty, often under the stress of enemy action, has been of the highest order."

Thanks

Thanks Hugh, that's him. Interesting career. I found his army papers online too but didn't know where to look for this. And I see there are photos of him in the archives, so that's even better. He had another son but I don't know whether he went into the service or not. I will keep looking.
    David