Thread: 401 Ames

Thanks

Default 401 Ames

Can anyone help with info re 401 AMES, which I believe my Dad served with in '41/42 in the Middle East;

Was it some form of Home Chain type unit - from some of the few conversations I had with him, he had been an Aerial Erector on a Home Chain unit prior tp his Middle East draft

Thanks in advance

PZULBA - Out of Africa (Retired)

Thanks

Hi,

401 AMES was a Chain Overseas or CO station. This was similar to the Chain Home or CH stations which were built round the British coast between 1936 and 1942. CO stations used similar transmitters and receivers and performed the same early warning of approaching aircraft function. The towers carrying the aerials were the same as those used on West Coast type CH stations, with 325 foot masts carrying the transmitter aerials and 240 foot towers for the receiver aerials. However, unlike CH CO did not have the semi-sunken protected brick buildings.

I have 401 AMES listed as at Ikingi Mariut near Alexandria on 30 November 1941 and still there in July 1942. Exactly when it arrived there, and when it left I'm afraid I can't say because I don't have the precise dates. It was certainly there in 1941/42 though, which confirms what you knew.

I hope this information is helpful but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them, although I'm not sure that I have much more that I can tell you, but I'll do my best. Have you considered getting your dad's service records from the RAF? These should give some indication of the various units your dad served with, although they might need some interpretation.

Any information you may have would be very interesting. Did your dad ever talk about his time in Egypt? Do you have any photos of him or of the station itself which I might be able to get copies of? Anything which I can add to the Historical Radar Archive would be much appreciated.