Thread: Mosquito's for others.

Thanks

Default Mosquito's for others.

hello,

I saw a day or so ago a request for info on Ex RAF Mosquito aircraft that went to the Burmese Air Force.

This time I ask about the Mosquito's that went to the Dominican Air Force.
    Six were Ex RAF serial numbers for both forces were
    RAF Dominican
    TE612 301
    TE909 302
    TE822 303
    TE873 304
    RF939 305
    ????? 306

Anyone have the RAF serial for "306" please ?

Also,
    Several Ex Canadian Mosquito's were to end their service with the Dominican Air FRorce, does anyone have any info about their former serial numbers please ?

Many thanks
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 21st December 2008 at 17:23.

Thanks

Default RCAF Mossie

Dear Alex,

Don McVicar of World Wide Airways purchased three ex-RCAF surplus Mosquito aircraft for re-sale to the Dominican Air Force. Their RCAF serials are: KA172, KA206 and KA243. He purchased these through the Babb Company (Canada) Ltd.

McVicar served in Ferry Command during WWII and was the association's president for a number of post-war years. He wrote several books on his wartime and post-war experiences. I supplied Don with colour pictures on two of the three above Mossies. They were painted silver all-over but had Dominican Air Force serial numbers applied to the aft fuselage. Don published the pictures in one of his book. Sorry I do not recall the title, but I think it was his last and final book of four. The UK publisher was Airlife.

I do not know the correlation between the RCAF serials and the Domincan AF serial numbers. Two Mossies were flown to the Dominican Republic via the USA, and the third crossed the US border and belly landed in the state of Vermont. I have a picture showing the accident scene. McVicar obtained the necessary landing gear, had it repaired, and delivered to the Dominican Republic.

Another Mosquito RCAF KB428 was in storage at London, Ontario, with the above three. Its final disposition is unknown. McVicar did not buy it. It either went to Israel or the Dominican Republic. War Assets sold it to the Babb Company (Canada) Ltd., Dorval, Quebec, managed by the Siple Brothers.

Don McVicar placed me in contact with several pilots employed by the Siple Bros. but none could recall any involvement ferrying a Mosquito post-war.

Norman Malayney
    Last edited by norman malayney; 21st December 2008 at 19:46.

Thanks

Hello Norman,

I Hope that you had a GREAT X-Mas and are looking forward to a Happy New Year.

Thank you for your interesting reply. I will look up the Israeli connection, but mostly they were I think ex FAA or French aircraft.

All the very best
    Alex