Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F/Sgt. Robert Wakefield Pearson, 419 Sqn

Thanks

Thanks Dave. I think I may have asked that question a bit awkwardly. What I meant to say was, did logging "air experience" of the official kind (as opposed to these larks) count as any kind of qualification on your resume that might get you a promotion or consideration of any kind later. I'm just wondering why USAAF personnel, who I assume were flight crew, would want to go for a ride in a Wimpy. Or was it just that, a chance to try out unit's another aircraft. Or were they perhaps catching a ride somewhere? Ten people in a Wimpy is a bit cramped, no?
    David

Eddie Fell Guest

The USAAF personnel were all Pfc's (Private 1st Class) and therefore not likely to be aircrew.
    There are a number of scenarios which could apply (met the crew in a local bar and were given the opportunity of a ride or were looking for a lift to another area and this was their 'ride' etc). As the Pilot was Canadian, the best way forward is to apply to Library and Archives Canada for his Service Record (the Geneology version is free) as the Pilots record often includes a copy of the findings of the Court of Enquiry which may shed some light on why the passengers were on board

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Default Three-month wait minimum

Thanks Eddie, much appreciated. I will be sending for the "genie" package as they call it at the archives, for Pearson and the other 100+ members of my honour roll but at the moment, they are backlogged and calling for a three-month turnaround if not six. I hope to go to Ottawa in the spring perhaps to consult some of the files in person - and maybe bump into Hugh!

I am only going to press for papers of four other men who are buried in Beny-sur-Mer, which my son's class is visiting in March. The others will have to come in due course. In the meantime, I appreciate everyone's help in indulging my curiosity as I go through the list of Malvern Collegiate's fallen and discover one great story after another.
    David