Steve.

Thanks

F/O. E W W. Felden +

268 Squadron

7 March 1944.

Base. Sawbridgeworth

Aircraft. Mustang I

Serial. FD470.

Op. Popular sortie, San Marie-du-Mont, pm. Hit by flak. Buried in Bayeux War Cemetery

Fighter Command Losses - Franks / RAF Squadrons - Jefford.

Regards
    Peter.
    Last edited by peter; 22nd December 2008 at 18:13.

Thanks

Default Loss of F/O Eric Feldon

Steve,

Following extract from "ADJIDAUMO - Tail in Air - the History of No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force, 1940-1946."
    QUOTE:

At 13.35 hrs another pair of Mustangs comprising F/O Feldon in FD470 and F/O Ashford in FD486 L took off for a photographic reconnaissance mission over France. They crossed the French Coast at Village Du Nord at 2500 ft. They noted and reported localised flooding around that area. Intense light flak greeted them and the Mustang flown by F/O Feldon was seen to be hit, and was last seen pulling up into cloud and heading inland. F/O Ashford tried to spot any sign of F/O Feldon or his aircraft but was unsuccessful. He exited the French Coast over Pouppeville flying at 50 ft. He returned safely to base where he reported the loss of F/O Feldon.

F/O EWW Feldon is buried in Bayeux War Cemetery, Calvados, France. His body was recovered from the wreckage of his aircraft, so it is possible that he was either mortally injured by the flak which damaged his aircraft, or killed whilst trying to crash land his damaged aircraft.

UNQUOTE

This was only the third recorded opertional sortie with the Squadron for FD470. No tie up of its serial to an allocated Squadron ID letter has been possible. It was a Mustang Mk.1A aircraft, not a Mk.1.

F/O Feldon joined No.268 Squadron on 7 July 1943 and had flown a number of operational sorties before his loss.

The Squadron had only moved to Sawbridgeworth on 1 March 1944 with the rest of No.130 Airfield.

Also lost same day was F/L W Wilson who went down in the Channel after his aircraft developed engine trouble on the return flight at the conclusion of the sortie.

Regards,
    Last edited by ColFord; 22nd December 2008 at 20:43. Reason: Typos
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-1946
    Historian by Appointment
    (by the surviving Squadron members)

Thanks

Hi Colin and Peter,

Thanks for the reply to my query sorry for the delay in replying but had family over for xmas and now getting back to the normal swing of things.

Appreciative as always.

Steve.

Thanks

I read with interest this thread , but please can anyone confirm which Mustang Mustang F/O Feldon was flying 7/3/44 , i note the thread states FD 470 OF 268 Sqd.

The squadron ORB states FD 476 , AB RAF Aircraft FA 100-FZ999 has the following on both FD 470 AND FD476
    FD 470 268 Sqd, Engine cut on Reconnaissance Crashed east of the Somme 7/3/44

FD 476 268 Sqd, Hit By Flak nr Rouen 3/8/44 , SOC

can anyone can confirm

F/O EWW Feldon had been with no 5 GTS before 268 Sqd and as a Sgt 1336810 Force landed Master DL 339 On the RWAS Showground nr Builth Wells Radnorshire

on the 22/8/42 , Little is known about his flying training if anyone can help on this Thread i would be most grateful

TIA Phill Jones

Thanks

Phill,

F/O Feldon was lost in FD470. Details as described in my earlier post. ORBs do not always give correct aircraft serials for particular pilots and sorties.

The description given in the AB Publication sounds more like the details of what happened with the other loss that day of F/L W Wilson RAFVR flying Mustang Mk.IA FD539 F whose Mustang suffered engine trouble whilst over the French coast and who was able to coax it to about mid-Channel before he had to bail out. Parachute deployed normally and he was seen to land in the water. He made no attempt to get into his dinghy and his parachute was seen to be dragging him through the water in a stiff breeze. ASR Walrus came out but could not locate him.

FD476 B hit in wing root by 88mm flak whilst being flown on a Tac/R sortie by F/O BFN Rachinger RAAF. Whilst AM Form 78 shows as being SOC following that, some doubts as the aircraft serial reappears in the Squadron ORBs for the period October-December 1944, backed up by entries in Pilot's log books. Possibly was repaired and returned to Squadron.

Regards,
    Colin Ford
    Canberra
    Australia

No.268 Squadron Royal Air Force 1940-1946
    Historian by Appointment
    (by the surviving Squadron members)

Thanks

Thanks for this i will amend my notes to shown FD470

ATB Phill Jones