Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying officer RAAF

Thanks

Default Flying officer RAAF

Family tree tracing:
    ALLISTER FRANCIS Flying Officer 415373 d 08/08/1943 29 Royal Australian Air Force Australian Sec. N. Grave 33 M. LEUCHARS CEMETERY

I seems odd, as he had surviving relations in Australia, as recorded on Commonwealth Wargraves Site, possibly killed whilst training in the UK.

I see from some posts that quite a few RAAF were based in UK.

Any detail appreciated.

Austen Shapcott

Thanks

Searching both Shapcott and 415373 on the Australian Arcives web site bring up a few records

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp

Unfortuately hsi records have not been digitized as yet (though you can request this)

Anyway we have a clue:

[No 455 Bomber Squadron] - P/O [Pilot Officer] Shapcott - flying accident to 8 August 1943

So we are looking for a Hampden or Beaufighter accident on this date

Thanks

I have a note which implies that F/O AF SHAPCOTT was the pilot of Anson N5105 of 1510Flt which collided with Mosquito DD690 at Leuchars on 08-Aug

dg

Thanks

http://www.luftwaffe.no/Table2.htm

Thanks

Hello Austen,

I wondered from your posting were you asking if it was normal for an Australian to remain buried in Scotland with relatives remaining in Australia? It was normal procedure for most Australian, Canadian, new Zealand, South African etc etc service personell to remain buried near to where they fell in line with CWGC policy which was put in place after the First World War. For the same reasons that a british soldier killed in Normandy or Alamein remains buried in those places, P/O Shapcott would remain buried in Soctland near to where he was killed. It would not be unusual at all. The CWGC site should have more details in it about their policies.

Some more links from the Australian War Meuseum:
    http://www.awm.gov.au/roh/person.asp?p=148-37690

Summary:
    415373 FO Shapcott A F (Pilot) was killed in a flying accident in the afternoon of 8 August 1943. He was on an air test and dual instruction non operational flight in an Anson from 1510 Flight and collided in flight with a Mosquito from No 333 Norwegian Sqn piloted by Lt Cmd Ofendor, OC of Sqn.
    Crew :
    RAF FO Rodgers, T G (Pilot)
    RAAF 415373 FO Shapcott, A F (Pilot)
    Both the crew were killed.
    FO Shapcott is buried in the Leuchars Cemetery, Fifeshire, Scotland.
    FO Rodgers is buried in Knockbreda Church of Ireland Churchyard, County Down, UK.

I never checked these links before myself!! Interesting!

For general details of RAAF personell in the war and in Europe you could satrt no better place than the Australian War Museum website
    http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/

Also, pay for his service record to be digitised at the link Paul gave in the post above.

I hoep this helps
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

The navigator of the Mosquito was Andreas Paulson. Both a/c involved came down on the boundary of Leuchars Airfield. (death reg.)

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default 415373 FO Shapcott A F (Pilot)

All,
    Thanks for the information, its been useful in filling a gap in the Family Tree.

Regards

Austen

Thanks

Austen
    According to the CWGC TG Rodgers' parents lived in Northern Ireland so he was buried there .
    If a serving airman's family lived in UK he was often buried in his hometown cemetery in a CWGC section,presumably if the parents requested it -if he'd died eg in a training accident or in an accident at a UK airbase .

I presume he could also be buried in a CWGC section of his hometown cemetery if his plane crashed in UK when returning from a mission ?

I think servicemen from overseas such as Canada ,South Africa, the then Rhodesia ,Australia, NZ, Poland, Czechoslovakia were buried in CWGC cemeteries near where they died/crashed.The missing in action with no known grave have their names on a panel in a memorial building . I believe lakes in Canada were sometimes named after servicemen ?

This also was the case in WW1 although, I think ,I read of one Canadian mother bringing her son home ??
    The logistics of returning bodies to their home countries in both wars would have been impossible but it made it very hard for those, eg Australian, NZ families & Canadian to see their son's/sons' grave/graves. The parents often died before they could see the graves, esp. after WW1. I presume this is why so many nieces ,nephews & cousins have taken up wartime research .

Anne

Thanks

The info I have on this one is:

The Mosquito aircraft was on the landing approach to airfield Leuchars but then got a red light from the tower due to a Anson plane was cleared to land before them. This they probably was not aware as they ignored the signal. The faster Mosquito very soon catched the slower Anson and its undercarriage hit the fuselage of the Anson. Then both plane plunged fatal down. (http://www.rafandluftwaffe.info/lists/raf1b.htm)

Thanks

Anson was NS105. N5105 is a Sopwith Strutter.