Thread: Afl 1940

Thanks

Default Afl 1940

I'd be grateful if anyone who has access to the Air Force List for 1940 could tell me who is listed as the Senior Meteorological Officer (or Meteorological Officer) for HQ Bomber Command. There were three changes during the year Pick, then Sutcliffe followed by Spence - I'm trying to pin-point the change between Sutcliffe and Spence.

TIA

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

I have a copy of the Air Force List October 1940 - Under Bomber Command 100-101 they list only Accountant - Medical - Educational Officers !

I see Sutcliffe listed under Meteorological Branch Squadron Leader 2/11/39.
    I can't see Spence listed under Meteorological ?

Mark

Thanks

Thank you Mark. I thought the info was in column 1032 (or something similar). I thought (again) that the index at the front of the volume listed Meteorological Offices, and it was this that included the Met Officers in Charge of the Command and Group Met Offices.

Sutcliffe had been called up at the beginning of the war and posted to France with the BEF Air Component (not sure if he was a S/L then or if it came later). He was evacuated from Boulogne just before Dunkirk, but almost immediately sent back again, this time to Salon as met officer to 71 Wing (Haddock Force).

'Haddock Force' was evacuated from Marseille on 18 June, and it was after arriving back in the UK in early July that Sutcliffe was posted to HQ Bomber Command as Met Officer in Charge (but in a civilian role).

I thought (thinking's bad for you) I'd seen the references to Spence et all in the AFL during a visit to the NA some time ago.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

The info you need is contained in the Confidential Air Force Lists after February 1939, the AFLs only give basic details of commands after that date.

I have the Dec 1939 and June 1941 CAFLs and Pick is shown in the first with Spence in the second, unfortunately I haven't a copy of one of the 1940 CAFLs yet.

Malcolm

Thanks

Problem resolved off-board, thank you gentlemen. Sutcliffe was listed as C Met O on 7 Sept 1939, but in the next list (17 Oct) the post was filled by Spence - that's good enough for me.

Brian